Tap & Ride
NJ TRANSIT is taking the next step to enhance your travel experience.
Customers of bus and light rail lines will be the first to take advantage of the Tap & Ride feature to pay adult one-way fares using contactless payment cards.
With this tap-to-pay technology, you can pay the one-way fare on most buses or any light rail line using contactless payment cards. This new functionality will reduce transaction time and the need for cash, making boarding even faster.
Traveling by bus:
Use the new Tap & Ride option to pay your adult one-way fare on-board most NJ TRANSIT buses using contactless payment cards.
- As you board, tap your contactless credit or debit card on the on-board validator.
- Provide the number of zones you wish to travel to the bus operator for the proper fare.
- Take a seat and enjoy your ride – it's that easy!
Traveling by light rail:
Use the new Tap & Ride payment option to buy your one-way light rail fare at Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, Newark Light Rail, or River LINE stations.
- At the light rail station platform, tap your contactless payment card at the validator to pay the adult one-way fare.
- The card is valid for your one-way fare during the usual validation period.
- Board the light rail train and enjoy the ride!
If asked to show proof of payment by a fare enforcement officer, tap the same contactless card used to purchase your ticket on a fare enforcement scanner.
It's a simple and easy way to pay your fare and speed up your trip.
For assistance with Tap & Ride transactions and information, please contact the NJ TRANSIT Payments Call Center at (862) 229-7139. The call center is available Monday through Friday 7:00am to 5:30pm, and on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays 8:30am to 5:00pm (Eastern Time).