Newark Liberty International Airport
Save yourself the traffic, tolls, and taxis with NJ TRANSIT service to and from Newark Liberty International Airport, your key to destinations for work and play. At least six NJ TRANSIT trains stop every hour at the Newark Liberty International Airport Station between 6 a.m. and 9 p.m. weekdays. Four trains stop every hour between 9 p.m. and midnight. Trains that stop at the airport are designated with an airplane or "EWR" on departure boards.
When you purchase your NJ TRANSIT ticket to or from Newark Airport with the NJ TRANSIT app or ticket vending machines, the AirTrain access fee ($7.75) is already included in the price - one ticket does it all.
Plan Your Trip
- Two NJ TRANSIT train lines serve Newark Airport. Northeast Corridor trains provide service to New York, Trenton and intermediate points. North Jersey Coast Line trains provide service to New York, Long Branch and intermediate points. You can connect at Newark Penn Station or Secaucus Junction for other destinations in New Jersey.
- We recommend purchasing roundtrip tickets to avoid lines.
- Keep your ticket with you when you leave the train because you will need it to pass through the fare gates. Otherwise, you will be charged the AirTrain access fee.
- Allow about 15 minutes to travel via AirTrain between the train station and your airport terminal.
- If possible, plan to travel during off-peak hours or on weekends, especially if you are traveling with children. (Peak hours are weekdays between 7-9 a.m. and 4-7 p.m.)
- Travel light. Available space for luggage is limited.
- If your flight arrives after the Newark Liberty International Airport Station has closed for the evening, you will need to take alternate ground transportation to your final destination.
- The Newark Liberty International Airport Station and AirTrain system are fully ADA accessible, and are equipped with escalators, elevators, and stairs.
- To find out if the station you plan to travel from is accessible to customers using mobility devices, refer to the station information page and look for the international symbol of accessibility.
- For assistance getting on and off the train, please inform your train crew. Be aware that train crews will not be available to assist with transporting luggage on or off the train.
- If you are traveling to New York, inform train personnel if you need to use an elevator upon arrival. When departing from New York, visit the NJ TRANSIT or Amtrak Customer Service Office to help you determine which elevator to use to access your connecting train.
Ticket and Fare Information
- NJ TRANSIT fares to the Newark Liberty International Airport Station are based on distance traveled.
- Tickets to or from the Airport are magnetically encoded and allow you to pass through the fare gates at the airport rail station. Simply insert your ticket into the fare gate, wait for the partition to open and walk through.
- Tickets may be purchased from ticket vending machines, ticket agents at your boarding station or your NJ TRANSIT app. Customers boarding without tickets will be charged the regular fare to Newark Penn Station or North Elizabeth (depending on direction traveled) plus surcharge. Upon arrival at the Airport station, you will be required to pay the $7.75 access fee. Conductors can accept cash only (all bills up to $100). Complete fare details, including Senior Citizen and Children's fare information can be found on rail timetables.
- One-Way Tickets can be used on any train for one continuous ride between designated stations. If you are traveling to the airport and plan to return via AirTrain and NJ TRANSIT, we recommend that you purchase two one-way tickets prior to departing from your boarding station.
- Monthly Passes save you approximately 30 percent compared to regular one-way fares and are valid for unlimited trips throughout the calendar month.
- Only monthly passes purchased with the Newark International Airport Station as the origin or destination will allow passage through the fare gate. If your monthly pass is for a destination other than the airport, you will be required to pay an access fee to pass through the station. See the Station Information section for ticket purchase locations.
- Airport Employees: If you work at the airport and plan to take NJ TRANSIT service regularly, we recommend that you purchase a monthly pass. The airport access fee is not charged on monthly rail passes with the airport as the origin or destination.
There is no parking or passenger drop off area at Newark Airport rail station. Parking at many NJ TRANSIT rail stations is limited on weekdays until about 6 p.m. If you are traveling before that time, you may wish to have someone drop you off at the nearest station, or use a station with a large parking facility such as:
- Metropark Station (Northeast Corridor)
- Hamilton Station (Northeast Corridor)
- Ramsey Route 17 Station (Main Line)
- Bay Street Station (Montclair-Boonton Line)
- Summit Station (Morris & Essex Lines)
- Bridgewater Station (Raritan Valley Line)
- Grove Street Station (Newark Light Rail)