NJ TRANSIT Internship Program
This 10-week summer experience will expose undergraduate and graduate students to unique situations and issues beyond those taught at school. Learn about what to expect in your field and gain hands-on experience in a professional environment. From IT, Engineering, Graphic Design, and many other majors we offer benefits and robust opportunities for students who are looking to expand their career while in school. All internship opportunities are currently live in all school career portals. If you have any questions email NJTSummerintern@njtransit.com.
Benefits as an intern:
- Paid positions $16-$26 per hour based on school year and major.
- Free Commuter Pass: Travel in all our transportation bus, rail, and light rail for free.
- Training and Development Sessions: Get an even greater experience with training and developing sessions NJ TRANSIT hosts of our interns.
- Participation in Events: Be part of our many events and tours we host throughout our 10-week internship program.
- Paid Ambassador Opportunities: Become a paid ambassador for any concerts or events held in MetLife Stadium and other locations.
- Full-Time/Part-Time Job Opportunities: Many of our interns’ transition to Full Time or Part Time positions after their internships.
Where do I find internship postings?
- Our internship postings are posted on your school’s career portal. Some career portals are Handshake, Simplicity, and College Central. Look for our profile and locate all our internship positions available.
When do I apply?
- All internship postings go live in January.
Do I need to be a Full Time student only?
- You do not need to be a Full Time student; as long as you are enrolled in one class, you qualify to apply for an internship position.
Do I have to be enrolled in school to apply?
- You must be a continuing enrolled student to qualify. Seniors do not qualify unless they are continuing their education.
Can international students apply?
- International student may apply to our internship positions. However, NJ TRANSIT does not sponsor international students; your school must be able to provide sponsorship for your internship.
Does NJ TRANSIT only hire summer interns?
- On occasions, NJ TRANSIT hires Spring/Fall interns. Be on the lookout on your school’s career portal such as Handshake, Simplicity or College Central for any Spring/Fall internship postings.
What is the duration of NJ TRANSIT’s Summer internship program?
- June to August. (Spring/Fall internship dates vary)
If I have additional questions, who can I contact?
- You can email us at NJTSummerintern@njtransit.com
How to apply?
To apply to OPEN INTERNSHIP POSITIONS, please visit your school’s career portal
such as Handshake, Simplicity, or College Central.
- Find the position(s) that best suits your current education and qualification.
- Find the external link which will direct you to our application portal
- View the requirements and click on “APPLY NOW”.
- You must create a new profile, select an email address that you check often and have regular access to.
- Read the directions carefully and complete all the mandatory fields; answer yes/no to all questions being asked.
- Make sure to upload your resume and fill the employment section of the application to mirror the resume you have uploaded. NOTE: If this step is skipped, your application will be classified as INCOMPLETE.
- It is important that you click the “SUBMIT” button at the end of the application in order to be considered for the position.
- If you need to check the status of your application, log-in using your email and password and click “APPLICATION STATUS“.
- If you are selected to move further in the process, you will receive an email regarding next steps. It is important to respond promptly to any and all emails
Please ensure to frequently visit your school’s career portal, internship positions are added from January to April. Also visit your school’s career pages regarding upcoming job fairs where you will be able to have face to face conversations with NJ TRANSIT representatives.
– Mario Kruszewski : Police Intern
- Marissa Ng : Communications Intern
- Laura Soares : Capital Planning Intern
- Tyson Morton : Capital Planning
– Michael Lavell : IT Department
- Lendy Salazar : Police Department
On the job:
NJ TRANSIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer