App and Mobile Tickets
Your phone is your key to transit! Plan your trip, buy and display passes and tickets, and get real-time bus and train status for your trip. The NJ TRANSIT App is built for your iOS or Android device, with streamlined navigation, easy access to your tickets, passes, and favorites with Touch ID and Face ID support, and a streamlined design for system status that uses the same line icons as our website and social media for quick recognition.
- Plan your trip with bus, train, and light rail schedules
- Buy tickets and passes using a credit or debit card, Apple Pay, Google Pay, or PayPal
- Get real time train and bus status
Frequently Asked Questions
- What types of tickets can I purchase?
You may purchase monthly and weekly train passes, round-trip (Adult, Child & Senior/Disabled), one-way (Adult, Child & Senior/Disabled) and ten trip train tickets on the app.
You may purchase monthly light rail passes for Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, Newark Light Rail and River LINE on the app.
You may purchase monthly bus passes, one-way (Adult, Child & Senior/Disabled), discounted ten-trip and round-trip excursions on the app.
- What forms of payment can I use?
The NJ TRANSIT App accepts Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal, credit and debit cards, and MasterCard or Visa branded commuter benefit cards. Transit checks are not accepted on the app. The app allows you to use multiple cards to pay for a single transaction, so if your commuter benefit card balance does not cover the cost of your ticket, you can use a second card to pay the balance due.
- When purchasing a ticket do the Origin and Destination have to match my direction of travel?
All tickets are valid in either direction. For example, travelling from NY Penn to Elizabeth, you may use either an NY Penn-Elizabeth ticket or an Elizabeth-NY Penn ticket.
- Are receipts available for my mobile ticket purchases?
Yes. A receipt will be sent to the email address you provided for your account.
- Do children need a ticket to ride?
Children under 4 years old ride free, children ages 5-11 need a child ticket except when Family Super Saver is in effect. Family Super Saver: Two children ages five through 11 may travel free with a passenger paying any valid fare during weekends and holidays from 7 p.m. Friday (or the day before a holiday) until 6 a.m. Monday (or the day after a holiday)
- How do I purchase and use a reduced fare mobile ticket (child, senior/disabled and military)?
The process of purchasing a mobile ticket is the same regardless of ticket type or rider type. Child tickets are valid for children ages 5-11. Senior/Disabled and Military tickets require that identification be shown to the operator, a conductor or ticket inspector.
- Are military personnel eligible for a reduced fare?
All United States military personnel and their dependents will be permitted to purchase transportation at the senior citizen/passenger with disabilities reduced fare rate with presentation of their military or military dependent ID card. The following military personnel are entitled to this fare: active duty, reservists, National Guard or retired members from the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard.
When purchasing your ticket, select Senior/Disabled to obtain the discounted fare. Eligible customers may ride at reduced fare rates on any NJ TRANSIT bus, rail or light rail service at all times, without restriction, upon presentation of authorized identification.
- Are there any fees?
The app is free, and there are no surcharges for using a mobile ticket. You are responsible for any data charges you may incur from your network provider.
- Can I use mobile tickets on multiple devices?
To ensure access to your ticket(s), your account must be accessed from a single device.
- How do I change/correct my User ID/Email?
Select More > User Profile > Change Password. Provide your email address then click Reset Password. An email will be sent to you to provide a new password.
- What are My Transit Alerts?
My Transit Alerts will send push notifications if your trip is impacted by service disruptions. To receive push notifications, enable notifications for the NJ TRANSIT App, and customize alerts within the app by selecting your train times, bus route and/or light rail line.
- Can I tag my favorite bus stops and train stations in the app?
Yes, you can tag your favorite stations in the app. Tap the star next to a station you would like to tag as a favorite. Favorite stations will appear at the top of the Origin/Destination list for quick and easy selection.
- When can I purchase weekly and monthly passes?
You may purchase a monthly pass beginning at 5:00 pm on the 19th of the previous month until 11:59 pm on the 10th of the month in which the pass is valid. You may purchase a rail weekly pass beginning the Thursday before and continuing through Tuesday of the week the pass is valid.
- How long can I hold onto purchased tickets without activating them?
Round-trip and one-way tickets that have not been activated will remain in your account until you use them. There is no expiration date for non-active tickets.
- How do I refund a train ticket?
Refunds are available for rail monthly or weekly passes. To refund a monthly or weekly pass, select the pass in your My Tickets listing and then select Refund. Ten-trip tickets can be refunded only if none of the tickets have been used for travel.
- How do I refund a bus ticket?
Refunds are only available for monthly passes and discounted ten-trips. To refund a monthly pass or discounted ten-trip, select the pass in your My Tickets listing and then select Refund.
- How do I refund a light rail pass?
Refunds are only available for light rail monthly passes. To refund a monthly pass, select the pass in your All Tickets listing and then select Refund. Light rail ten-trip tickets can be refunded only if none of the tickets have been used for travel.
- How is my refund calculated?
Prior to the first business day of the calendar month/week you will receive a full refund. After the start of the month/week, if the refund is requested immediately following the purchase, the full amount charged for the monthly/weekly pass will be refunded. For all other refunds, the cost of two one-way tickets will be deducted from the refund amount for each business day you had the pass.
Wholly unused train ten-trips will be refunded at the full purchase price. Wholly unused bus discounted ten-trips will be refunded at the full purchase price. For partially used bus discounted ten-trip tickets, the applicable full one-way fare will be deducted from the purchase price for each ticket that has been activated.
- Is there a limit on how many tickets I can purchase?
There is a limit of ten tickets per ticket type, except monthly and weekly passes. One monthly or weekly pass can be purchased on your device for use per calendar month/week.
- Can bus tickets and passes be used for routes/origins & destinations other than the one selected during my purchase?
Yes, bus passes are valid on any bus route to any origin and destination as long as the pass is valid for the number of zones traveled.
- How do I activate my mobile ticket?
Select the ticket/tickets you want to use for this trip, and tap Activate Selected Tickets. When prompted, confirm that you want to activate the selected ticket(s). If multiple tickets are selected, the quantity selected will display on a single ticket.
- When should I activate my mobile ticket?
Tickets must be activated prior to boarding and be ready to be displayed to the conductor/operator. An internet connection is required to activate tickets. Once activated, tickets can be displayed without an internet connection. Your monthly pass will self activate at midnight on the first of the month. Your weekly pass will self activate at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday.
- How do I display my active ticket(s)?
Select My Tickets, to display your active ticket(s).
- Do mobile tickets expire?
Mobile tickets do not expire. They are valid until activated.
- How long will a ticket stay active?
Train round-trip and one-way mobile tickets are valid for two hours and forty-five minutes after activation. A rail monthly pass will automatically activate at midnight on the first day of the month and expire at noon on the first business day of the next month. A weekly pass will automatically activate at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday and expire at 6:00 a.m. the following Saturday.
Bus tickets will expire after 30 minutes (Intrastate) to one hour (Interstate). A bus monthly pass will automatically activate at midnight on the first day of the month and expire at midnight on the last day of the month.
Light rail monthly passes will automatically activate at midnight on the first day of the month and expire at midnight on the last day of the month.
- If I have a monthly or weekly pass, can I purchase round-trip and one-way tickets for friends and family traveling with me?
Yes! Select Buy Tickets to purchase additional tickets.
- When do I use the barcode on the ticket?
Customers transferring through Secaucus Junction or Newark Liberty International Airport will need to scan the barcode on the faregate readers to pass through the gates. On-board a train, a Conductor or Ticket Inspector may scan your barcode with a handheld device to check the validity of your ticket.
- If I have activated multiple rail tickets, how do we go through the faregates at Secaucus Junction or Newark Liberty International Airport?
The barcode must be scanned on the fare gate reader for each customer traveling through the gates.
- How do conductors validate my mobile ticket(s)/ pass once active and displaying the barcode?
Conductors may visually inspect the activated ticket(s)/ pass or scan the barcode. NJ TRANSIT asks that you always have your mobile device ready to display your mobile ticket(s)/ pass for verification and validation during the fare collection process.
- Will monthly and weekly train passes be honored on buses and light rail?
Yes, mobile monthly and weekly train passes have the same travel flexibility as paper passes. If you have a monthly train pass valued at $54 or more, you can use it on any NJ TRANSIT light rail line or bus up to the number of zones indicated on the pass. If you have a weekly train pass, you can use it for a one-zone ride on any NJ TRANSIT light rail line or bus. Simply display your train pass on your mobile phone to the bus operator or light rail fare inspector.
Bus and light rail monthly passes are not valid for train travel, with limited exceptions. Bus and light rail monthly passes (showing a zone number) are valid for any bus or light rail trip at no additional charge during the period the pass is valid. A two-zone or greater monthly bus pass is required to ride Hudson-Bergen Light Rail.
- Can bus one way, round trip or discounted ten-trip mobile tickets be used for travel on the light rail?
No, bus one way, round trip and discounted ten-trip mobile tickets are NOT valid for travel on the Newark Light Rail, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail or the River LINE.
- In the event of a service disruption, will mobile tickets be honored on all NJ TRANSIT modes, as well as PATH trains and private bus carriers?
In the event of a service disruption, mobile tickets will follow the same cross-honoring rules set for paper tickets/passes.
- If I activate a rail ticket and then experience an extended service disruption lasting longer than two hours and 45 minutes, will my ticket be accepted at the fare gates at Secaucus, or by conductors on connecting trains?
In the event that your trip takes longer than expected and your ticket expires, you will be able to display your ticket details to the faregate representative, conductor or ticket inspector. This will verify your recently expired ticket and allow you to continue your trip.
- Is my credit card information stored on my phone?
No. Credit card information is not stored on your phone. Your credit card information is securely transmitted to the bank authorizer, where it is saved on servers that comply with Payment Card Industry Security Standards.
- Does the app track my location? If so, how is that information used?
Yes. While you are using the app, it tracks your approximate location anonymously. This data will be used to help improve the performance of our system.
- What should I do if I am having technical problems?
You can use our contact us option on the More menu, or call Customer Service at 973-275-5555.
- What happens if my mobile device battery runs out before I am able to display my mobile ticket to the conductor/operator?
It is your responsibility to have a charged and operational phone so that you are able to display your mobile ticket. If you are unable to display your mobile ticket, you will have to buy a ticket from a ticket agent, TVM or conductor/driver (on-board surcharge may apply).
- How do I update my credit card information?
You can update your credit card information by selecting More > Payment Methods > Add or Delete Credit Card.
- What happens if my phone is lost, stolen, or I replace it?
If your mobile phone is lost/stolen/replaced, once you have your new phone, you can sign in to your account with your User ID (email) and password. If you have active or non-active tickets, and do not see them, please delete and reinstall the app. If your tickets are still not shown please contact NJ TRANSIT at 973-275-5555 for assistance importing your tickets to your phone.