NJ TRANSIT CELEBRATES LABOR DAY WITH ‘EARLY GETAWAY’ SERVICE
Kids Ride Free All Weekend with Family SuperSaver Fare & Last Call for Summer Vibes Discounted Travel
August 31, 2023
NEWARK, NJ — NJ TRANSIT is kicking off the Labor Day weekend with “early getaway” rail and bus service on Friday, September 1 for the benefit of customers leaving work early for the last long weekend of the summer. To help speed the getaway, customers are encouraged to enjoy the convenience of purchasing tickets through the NJ TRANSIT mobile app.
This weekend, kids ride free on NJ TRANSIT - Extended for Labor Day Weekend!
Every weekend, families riding NJ TRANSIT can save with the Family SuperSaver Fare, which allows two children 11 and younger to travel free with each fare-paying adult. For the Labor Day holiday weekend, the program will be extended and in effect from 7 p.m. Friday, September 1 until 6 a.m. Tuesday, September 5.
Friday, September 1:
Rail: From approximately 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m., extra outbound trains will operate on the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast, Raritan Valley, Morris & Essex and Main/Bergen County/Port Jervis lines. To accommodate the earlier ridership demand, certain adjustments will be made from approximately 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., including select cancelled or combined trains, added stops, and changed Secaucus connections. Visit njtransit.com or see rail timetables for details to find your best options.
Bus: NJ TRANSIT will operate extra buses from the Port Authority Bus Terminal and make select adjustments on more than two dozen bus routes starting around noon. Visit njtransit.com for updated timetables to find the most convenient bus for you.
Light Rail: Hudson-Bergen Light Rail and Newark Light Rail will operate on regular weekday schedules. River LINE will operate on a Sunday/holiday schedule.
Saturday, September 2 through Sunday, September 3:
Rail: All trains will operate on a regular weekend schedule. Visit njtransit.com for the most up to date schedules and information.
Bus: Saturday and Sunday schedules will remain in effect with a few added buses to better accommodate holiday crowds. See schedule for details, or visit njtransit.com for updated timetables to find the most convenient bus for you.
- Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will operate on a weekend schedule.
- Newark Light Rail will operate on a Saturday and Sunday schedule, respectively.
- River LINE will operate on a Sunday/holiday schedule on both days.
Labor Day, Monday, September 4:
Rail: Trains will operate on a weekend/major holiday schedule on all lines. Visit njtransit.com for the most up to date schedules and information.
- An additional train will depart Port Jervis at 4:05 p.m. and will make all stops to Suffern, then will operate express to Secaucus and Hoboken.
Bus: Most bus service will operate on Saturday or Sunday schedules, with Route No. 139 (PABT to Lakewood) operating on a special timetable available at njtransit.com. Visit njtransit.com for all regular weekend and special timetables.
- Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will operate on a weekend schedule.
- Newark Light Rail will operate on a Saturday schedule.
- River LINE will operate on a Sunday/holiday schedule.
And it’s your last chance to save and enjoy NJ TRANSIT’s Summer Vibes offers!
Check out the latest offers on www.njtransit.com/summer and please be aware that all tickets purchased with our monthly promotional codes throughout the entire campaign will expire at 2AM on Saturday, September 2nd. Customers who have not activated their tickets by then will not be able to use them.
Beach Excursion Fares
Get to the Jersey Shore from NYC for under $20 on weekdays! NJ TRANSIT customers traveling to Long Branch and stations farther south on the North Jersey Coast Line can use a special promo code in the NJ TRANSIT Mobile App to receive a spectacular savings of over 40% off regular fares. That means that customers coming from New York City can visit the shore in Long Branch for less than $20 round-trip!
Customers can check www.njtransit.com/shore for a new code each month. Promo codes are only valid for same-day, weekday activation, and each code allows customers to purchase and activate up to two round-trip tickets at a time. The code is limited to one use per customer per week and must include a destination of Long Branch or any station south of Long Branch on NJ TRANSIT’s North Jersey Coast Line to receive the special savings.
Customers in South Jersey can get to the shore too! Beginning today, customers can use a promo code in the NJ TRANSIT Mobile App to receive an amazing 50% savings off travel on the Atlantic City Rail Line (ACRL) between Philadelphia and Atlantic City on weekdays. Customers will also need to check www.njtransit.com/ac for a new code each month. With this discount, customers can travel from Philadelphia to Atlantic City round-trip on weekdays for just $10! Promo codes are only valid for weekday same-day activation, and each code allows customers to purchase and activate up to two round-trip tickets at a time. The codes are limited to one use per customer per month.
Summer in the City!
NJ TRANSIT customers can also use the promo codes “NYCPASS23” and “PHILLYPASS23” in the NJ TRANSIT Mobile App to receive a 40% discounted round-trip ride to either New York City or Philadelphia. Each code allows customers to purchase and activate up to two round-trip tickets, which must both be activated on the same day. Each code can only be redeemed once per customer during the summer, so be sure to make the most of your trip!
BOGO - NJ TRANSIT Style
Show your friends how easy, convenient and affordable NJ TRANSIT is throughout the summer by using a promo code in the NJ TRANSIT Mobile App to “Buy One, Get One Free” round-trip between any origin and destination. Please visit njtransit.com/bogo for a new code each month. Only one code may be used per customer per month during the promotion and all tickets expire at the end of the promotion on September 4th.
NJ TRANSIT customers can take advantage of all these great summer deals by using the promotional codes during the eligible dates when purchasing tickets through the
NJ TRANSIT Mobile App. These special offers are only available through the mobile app.
Important note: All offers are non-transferable, non-refundable, app-only, and cannot be combined with other offers. All tickets will expire at the end of the promotional period and are valid only while supplies last. Click here for additional information regarding
NJ TRANSIT’s Summer Vibes Promotions.
More Summer Savings!
- Six Flags Great Adventure or Hurricane Harbor: NJ TRANSIT customers can use the No. 308 express bus for travel to and from the park. The No. 308 bus operates between the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York and Six Flags, with an intermediate stop at Newark Penn Station. Customers can use the NJ TRANSIT Mobile App to purchase packages, which save up to $50 off round-trip bus tickets and admission passes to the Theme Park or Hurricane Harbor. Packages purchased on the App include round-trip transportation and discounted admission to Six Flags Great Adventure or Hurricane Harbor. Each NJ TRANSIT Mobile App account can purchase up to six packages. For details, visit njtransit.com/sixflags. Note that Monday, September 4th is the last day of operation for Hurricane Harbor this year!
- Beach Packages: Save up to $6.50 on admission to Asbury Park or Ocean Grove beaches on weekends and holidays by purchasing a round-trip train fare and a discounted beach pass for one low price! Available only at NJ TRANSIT ticket vending machines (choose “Beach Package”) or at ticket windows. Visit njtransit.com/shore for more information.
- Monmouth Park: NJ TRANSIT is off to the races at Monmouth Park Racetrack this season with a great discount package! NJ TRANSIT customers can take North Jersey Coast Line trains to Monmouth Park Station when the track is open for live racing, through September 10th. NJ TRANSIT’s Monmouth Park Package, which includes round-trip transportation, general admission and an official racing program, is a total savings of up to $6.50 off the face value if purchased separately. The Monmouth Park package is available only at TVMs and ticket office windows. You can find more information at njtransit.com/monmouthpark.
- Check Schedules in Advance: Plan your trip online or with the NJ TRANSIT mobile app to take advantage of extra trains and buses.
- Allow Extra Travel Time: Traffic congestion during the long holiday weekend may affect bus travel times especially on routes using the Garden State Parkway or near the Lincoln Tunnel. Customers should plan accordingly.
- Ticketing: Purchase round-trip tickets at the start of your trip to speed your return. Use the NJ TRANSIT mobile app, ticket vending machines or see a ticket agent, if available, to avoid possible surcharges. Bus customers departing Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) are reminded that tickets must be purchased before boarding the bus.
- Luggage: Travel as lightly as possible. Customers with luggage or packages should use the overhead racks or designated luggage spaces. On multilevel trains, customers with large bags should use the mezzanine levels at the ends of each car.
- Stay connected to NJ TRANSIT social media during your commute. Search for rail, bus or light rail-specific Twitter accounts for the best information
- Twitter: @NJTRANSIT
- @NJTRANSIT_NBUS (North Jersey Bus)
- @NJTRANSIT_SBUS (South Jersey Bus)
- @NJTRANSIT_AL (Access Link)
- Facebook: facebook.com/NJTRANSIT
- YouTube Channel: TheNewJerseyTransit
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 925,000 weekday trips on 253 bus routes, three light rail lines, 12 commuter rail lines and through Access Link paratransit service. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 166 rail stations, 62 light rail stations and more than 19,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.