Quiet Commute Cars
Many customers enjoy the comfort of traveling in subdued environments provided within Quiet Commute cars. As their popularity continues to grow with customers, we are increasing their availability throughout our rail system and will continue to make enhancements based on customer and employee feedback.
Quiet Commute Availability
Designated Quiet Commute cars are available on all trains arriving at or departing from terminal stations on weekdays between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m. based on the following:
Trains To/From Newark Penn Station and Penn Station New York
- Northeast Corridor, Raritan Valley, Morris & Essex and Montclair-Boonton lines
- First and last open cars on all trains.
- North Jersey Coast Line
- First and last open cars on all trains except on the Bay Head shuttles, which use the first open car at the front of the train.
Trains To/From Hoboken Terminal
- Morris & Essex, Montclair-Boonton, Main/Bergen County, Port Jervis, Pascack Valley and North Jersey Coast lines
- First open car traveling to Hoboken and last open car traveling from Hoboken.
Trains To/From Philadelphia 30th Street Station
- Atlantic City Line
- First open car traveling to Philadelphia and last open car traveling to Atlantic City.
What You Should Know
Quiet Commute cars offer seating on a first-come, first-served basis. While traveling in these cars, please observe the following guidelines:
- Disable the sound feature on your electronic devices.
- Refrain from cell phone use.
- Conduct conversations in subdued voices.
- Maintain a low headphone volume to avoid distracting other passengers.