NJ TRANSIT OFFERS EXTRA TRAINS TO ANNUAL STEEPLECHASE IN FAR HILLS
October 12, 2012
NEWARK, NJ — NJ TRANSIT is offering extra rail service between Hoboken and Far Hills to carry thousands of spectators to and from the 92nd annual Far Hills Steeplechase at Moorland Farms on Saturday, October 20. NJ TRANSIT’s Far Hills Station on the Gladstone Branch of the Morris & Essex Lines is located directly across the street from Moorland Farms.
To accommodate the additional trains, regular Saturday rail service will be adjusted and buses will replace trains for some trips. Detailed schedule information is available at njtransit.com.
Customers are advised of the following:
- Shuttle buses will replace all trains between Gladstone, Peapack and Far Hills stations. Visit njtransit.com for bus departure times and boarding locations.
- Buses will replace certain Gladstone Branch trains inbound from Gladstone and outbound from Summit. Substitute bus service will be provided. Visit njtransit.com for details.
Service to the Races:
- NJ TRANSIT will operate 12 additional trains from Hoboken to Far Hills, with departures at 8:05 a.m., 8:40 a.m., 9:09 a.m., 9:25 a.m., 10 a.m. (express), 10:05 a.m., 10:35 a.m., 11:05 a.m., 11:20 a.m., 12:25 p.m., 1:25 p.m., and 2:25 p.m.
- Customers traveling from New York should transfer to Gladstone Branch trains at Summit Station.
Service from the Races:
Trains will depart Far Hills Station every 15-20 minutes between 4:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. All post-event trains will make all local stops to Hoboken. Customers traveling to New York must change trains at Summit Station. (Midtown Direct service between Dover and New York will operate on a regular Saturday schedule.)
Important Travel Tips
- Alcoholic beverages are NOT permitted on any train to and from Far Hills.
- Due to anticipated high ridership, customers are encouraged to purchase roundtrip tickets in advance to avoid lines. Customers purchasing one-way, return trip tickets from Far Hills Station will pay $20.
- Customers boarding at Far Hills on October 20 without a valid ticket or pass will be required to purchase a special ticket prior to boarding the train. The special ticket is valid until 11:59 p.m. on October 20 only for travel between Far Hills and any NJ TRANSIT rail station.
- On October 20, ticket offices will be open special hours at Hoboken, Summit, Berkeley Heights, Lyons, Bernardsville, Far Hills, Gladstone, Dover, Morristown, Maplewood and South Orange stations. See njtransit.com for timings.
About NJ TRANSIT
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 895,000 weekday trips on 261 bus routes, three light rail lines, 12 commuter rail lines and through Access Link paratransit service. It is the second largest transit system in the country with 164 rail stations, 61 light rail stations and more than 19,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.