NJ TRANSIT TO IMPLEMENT EMERGENCY STABILIZATION BUS SERVICE FOR A&C AND O.N.E CUSTOMERS
Emergency Plan Maintains Route Patterns and Span of Service for A&C and Coach USA O.N.E. Customers
September 29, 2023
NEWARK, NJ – NJ TRANSIT has announced an emergency stabilization bus service plan to address the impacts to customers of the seven discontinued A&C and O.N.E routes. The plan ensures these customers continue to have uninterrupted access to the bus service they depend on every day. The plan includes creating six new NJ TRANSIT bus routes and extending one existing NJ TRANSIT bus route, serving the same bus stops as the A&C and O.N.E bus lines.
“As New Jersey’s statewide public transportation provider, we recognize the critical importance of transportation to empower New Jerseyans to fulfill their professional, personal and recreational needs via affordable, accessible and reliable transportation,” said New Jersey Department of Transportation Commissioner and NJ TRANSIT Board Chair Diane Gutierrez-Scaccetti. “I am pleased that NJ TRANSIT was able to use its resources to continue these critical bus routes.”
“NJ TRANSIT understands how important this bus service is to all those who depend on it, particularly for those who rely on it as their sole source of mobility,” said NJ TRANSIT President & CEO Kevin S. Corbett. “We are extremely pleased to be able to deliver a plan that maintains service for all the customers impacted by the disappointing decision made by A&C and Coach USA to discontinue operating these seven bus routes.”
O.N.E Bus Stabilization Plan – Effective October 9, 2023
Beginning Monday, October 9, NJ TRANSIT will provide emergency bus services to support customers impacted by the discontinuation of the O.N.E. #24, #31 and #44 routes. NJ TRANSIT will maintain the same route patterns and spans. Once full schedule information is finalized, it will be available online at njtransit.com/coachone.
New NJ TRANSIT #24 Line
- Serves the Central Avenue Corridor in Orange, East Orange, and Newark, and the Frelinghuysen Avenue/Newark Avenue Corridor in Newark and Elizabeth. Also serves East Jersey Street and Elizabeth Avenue, Elizabeth as well as Jersey Gardens. Provides service to Downtown Newark, Orange, and Elizabeth, and connections to NJT rail at Elizabeth, Orange, and Brick Church.
- Weekday 5:00 AM – 2:14 AM with service every 20 minutes, AM and PM peak, and Mid-day and every 30 minutes evenings and late night.
- Saturday 5:00 AM – 1:35 AM with service every 20 minutes mid-day, every 30 minutes early AM, evening and late night.
- Sunday 5:15 AM – 1:21 AM with service every 30 minutes, all day.
New NJ TRANSIT #31 Line
- Serves the South Orange Avenue Corridor from downtown South Orange, at the rail station, to Springfield Avenue in Newark, and continues to Penn Station, via Market Street, providing multi-modal connections.
- Weekday 5:00 AM – 1:53 AM with hourly service from South Orange and every 20 minutes AM and PM peak from South Orange Avenue/Dover Street Loop , and every 30 minutes off-peak, evenings and late night.
- Saturday 5:00 AM – 1:22 AM with hourly service from South Orange and every 30 minutes from Dover Street Loop.
- Sunday: 5:00 AM – 1:31 AM with service every 45 minutes in the mid-day from South Orange, and every 60 minutes early morning, evening and late night. All service operates South Orange – Newark Penn on Sunday.
New NJ TRANSIT #44 Line
- Connects Newark Penn Station with downtown Orange at the Orange Rail Station for multi-modal connectivity. Provides service to the Veteran’s Hospital in East Orange. Serves Tremont Avenue, Rhode Island Avenue, Freeman Avenue, and Central Avenue in Orange, East Orange, and Newark.
- Weekday 5:00 AM – 12:28 AM with hourly service all day.
- Saturday 6:00 AM – 12:27 AM with hourly service all day.
- Sunday: 6:30 AM – 12:52 AM with service every 80 minutes all day.
A&C Bus Stabilization Plan – Effective October 28, 2023
Beginning Saturday, October 28th, NJ TRANSIT will provide emergency bus services to support customers impacted by the discontinuation of the A&C #30, #31, #32 and #33 routes. NJ TRANSIT will maintain the same route patterns and spans. Once full schedule information is finalized, it will be available online at njtransit.com/a-cbus
New NJ TRANSIT #8 Line replaces A&C #33 Line– Bergen Avenue
- Serves Bergen Avenue from Journal Square to JFK Boulevard at Van Nostrand Avenue, Old Bergen Road from JFK Boulevard at McAdoo Avenue to Neptune Avenue, and Garfield Avenue from Neptune Avenue to the Bayonne City Line at 54th Street. Connects to PATH at Journal Square.
- Weekday 5:15 AM – 8:45 PM with service every 15 minutes during the AM and PM peak and in the mid-day.
- Saturday 5:15 AM – 8:42 PM with service every 30 minutes all day.
- Sunday 5:15 AM – 8:41 PM with service every 30 minutes all day.
New NJ TRANSIT #9 Line replaces A&C #31 Line – Montgomery Street – West Side Avenue
- Connects the Montgomery Street corridor from West Side Avenue to Jersey Avenue, and the West Side Avenue Corridor from Danforth Avenue to Montgomery Street with the Hudson Bergen Light Rail (West Side Avenue Station), and PATH at Grove Street with Newport Mall and downtown Jersey City. Serves Society Hill as well. Provides only crosstown bus connection between Journal Square and Communipaw Avenue.
- Weekday 6:30 AM – 8:00 PM with service every 60 minutes all day.
- Saturday 10:00 AM – 7:45 PM with service every 60 minutes all day
- Sunday 10:00 AM – 7:50 PM with service every 60 minutes all day.
New NJ TRANSIT #14 Line replaces A&C #32 Line– Duncan – Mallory – NJ 440
- Connects Journal Square with Society Hill via Sip Avenue, Duncan Avenue, portions of West Side Avenue, and Mallory Avenue. Provides only service across NJ 440 to Hudson Mall and Stadium Plaza shopping center. Connects with HBLR at West Side Avenue Station and PATH at Journal Square.
- Weekday 7:10 AM – 8:33 PM with service every 40-45 minutes all day.
- Saturday 7:15 AM – 8:28 PM with service every 40 minutes all day.
- Sunday 7:15 AM – 8:27 PM with service every 40 minutes all day.
Current NJ TRANSIT #80 Line replaces A&C #30 Line– Greenville – Journal Square – Exchange Place
- Increased NJ TRANSIT #80 line service along West Side Avenue from Danforth Avenue to Sip Avenue, and along Sip Avenue from West Side Avenue to Journal Square. Provides connections to HBLR at West Side Avenue Station and PATH at JSQ.
- Service beginning and ending at Society Hill will operate as the #80S line.
- #80S service span and frequency:
- Weekday 5:39 AM – 9:00 PM with service every 15 – 20 minutes AM and PM peak and every 30 minutes mid-day.
- Saturday 5:42 AM – 8:29 PM with service every 30 – 40 minutes all day.
- Sunday 6:15 AM – 8:19 PM with service every 60 minutes all day.
About NJ TRANSIT
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 925,000 weekday trips on 253 bus routes, three light rail lines, 12 commuter rail lines and through Access Link paratransit service. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 166 rail stations, 62 light rail stations and more than 19,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.