NJ TRANSIT EXTENDS ACRL 25% DISCOUNT
Discount Extended through January 2019 as PTC Submission is Reviewed Prior to ACRL Service Restoration
December 19, 2018
NEWARK, NJ — Following the completion of end-of-year federally mandated Positive Train Control (PTC) installation, NJ TRANSIT is committed to reopening the Atlantic City Rail Line (ACRL) in early 2019 pending the review and approval of our recent submission to the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) for the alternate schedule, which extends the deadline for full PTC implementation to December 31, 2020. In recognition of the continued impact on ACRL customers, NJ TRANSIT will extend the 25 percent discount on tickets and passes through the end of January 2019.
“We are looking forward to the restoration of service for our customers on the ACRL, and are working to do so as quickly as possible,” said NJ TRANSIT Executive Director Kevin Corbett. “I thank our customers for their patience during this time. We are continuing to offer the 25% discount through January on the alternate bus service, along with cross-honoring with PATCO at Lindenwold Station, Walter Rand Transportation Center in Camden and 8th/Market St. in Philadelphia, to offset the impact it has had on their travel.”
On December 17, 2018, NJ TRANSIT marked 100-percent completion of the FRA’s 2018 year-end milestone for PTC. Criteria for this requirement included installation of equipment on locomotives and cab control cars, installation of 326 miles of wayside equipment including radios, transponders and poles, as well as initiating PTC testing and employee training. The achievement means NJ TRANSIT can apply for an alternative schedule to have PTC fully operational by the end of 2020.
The following alternate transportation options remain in effect:
- NJ TRANSIT Bus Route No. 340 Lindenwold Atlantic City Express Shuttle – This shuttle will operate as an express route between Atlantic City Bus Terminal and Lindenwold PATCO, making stops only at the Absecon and Egg Harbor City rail stations. Service will operate daily, throughout the day, at a similar frequency to the ACRL.
- NJ TRANSIT Bus Route No. 340 Cherry Hill - Lindenwold – This route, which replaces the former Cherry Hill - Pennsauken - WRTC Shuttle, will provide Cherry Hill customers with access to PATCO at Lindenwold for travel to/from Philadelphia and connections to the No. 340 Atlantic City – Lindenwold Express service to Atlantic City. Pennsauken customers will continue to have River LINE service available to WRTC for transfer to PATCO for travel to/from Philadelphia and Lindenwold.
- NJ TRANSIT Bus Route No. 417 Pennsauken Transit Center – 30th St. Station Philadelphia – This route will cross-honor rail tickets and passes with an origin or destination of Philadelphia. Customers must have a rail ticket or pass with a Philadelphia origin or destination for travel on this route at no additional charge.
- NJ TRANSIT Bus Route No. 555 Avandale Park-Ride - 30th St. Station Philadelphia – This route will cross-honor rail tickets and passes with an origin or destination of Philadelphia. Customers must have a rail ticket or pass with a Philadelphia origin or destination for travel on this route at no additional charge.
- NJ TRANSIT Bus Route No. 551 Express – This route will cross-honor rail tickets with an origin or destination of Atlantic City or Philadelphia and will be accepted at Atlantic City Bus Terminal (AC Bus Terminal), Avandale Park-Ride (Sicklerville), Walter Rand Transportation Center (WRTC), Camden and Greyhound Bus Terminal (10th and Filbert streets, Philadelphia).
- NJ TRANSIT Bus Route No. 554 – The No. 554 will cross-honor all rail tickets and passes and provide hourly service to/from all rail stations between Atlantic City and Lindenwold.
- All NJT bus routes serving Center City Philadelphia from Walter Rand Transportation Center (WRTC) in Camden – These routes will cross-honor rail tickets and passes with an origin or destination of Philadelphia. Customers must have a rail ticket or pass with a Philadelphia origin or destination for travel on these routes at no additional charge.
- PATCO (Lindenwold, Walter Rand Transportation Center (WRTC) in Camden and 8th St./Market St. ONLY) – PATCO will cross-honor rail tickets and passes with an origin or destination of Philadelphia at Lindenwold, WRTC in Camden and 8th St./Market St. in Philadelphia for service to/from Philadelphia. Customers must have a rail ticket or pass with a Philadelphia origin or destination for travel on PATCO at no additional charge. Customers should retain their rail tickets and passes for cross honoring on PATCO.
- River LINE – Tickets with an origin or destination of Philadelphia will be accepted for travel between any two stations on the River LINE
- Customers should continue to purchase their rail tickets & passes as they do today to take advantage of the 25-percent discount and the available cross-honoring options with PATCO and NJ TRANSIT bus. Rail ticket vending machines will continue to be available at all ACRL stations.
- The Atlantic City Rail Station will remain open during this time and customers will still be able to utilize parking there.
- The 340 Express Shuttle to Lindenwold, the 551 Express to Philadelphia and the 554 local bus making all rail station stops to Lindenwold will arrive and depart from the Atlantic City Bus Terminal.
- A special Jitney shuttle will be established to connect the AC Rail Terminal with the AC Bus Terminal for those who cannot or do not wish to walk the short distance between the parking at the AC Convention Center/Rail Terminal and the Bus Terminal.
- ACRL customers utilizing PATCO to/from Philadelphia will not have service to/from 30th Street Station in Philadelphia. Customers will board/exit PATCO at the 8th St./Market St. Station in Philadelphia.
- Atlantic City casino jitney bus service will not operate to/from the Atlantic City Rail Terminal. This service will relocate to/from the Atlantic City Bus Terminal.
- Temporary Ticket Vending Machines (TVMs) will be available at the PATCO 8th Street/Market St. Station to purchase NJ TRANSIT rail tickets to be cross honored on PATCO.
- Rail tickets will be sold at TVMs at the Atlantic City Bus Terminal and Greyhound Bus Terminal located at 10th and Filbert streets in Philadelphia.
About NJ TRANSIT
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 944,000 weekday trips on 251 bus routes, three light rail lines, 12 commuter rail lines and through Access Link paratransit service. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 165 rail stations, 62 light rail stations and more than 19,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.