NJ TRANSIT ANNOUNCES TRAVEL OPTIONS FOR FAR HILLS STEEPLECHASE EVENT
October 13, 2017
NEWARK, NJ — NJ TRANSIT is offering special service between Hoboken and Far Hills to carry thousands of spectators to and from the 97th annual Far Hills Steeplechase at Moorland Farms on Saturday, October 21. NJ TRANSIT’s Far Hills Station on the Gladstone Branch of the Morris & Essex Lines is located directly across the street from Moorland Farms.
Due to ongoing work on the Gladstone line, private carrier busing has been replacing rail service on Saturdays, Sundays and most holidays since mid-March. However, some rail service will operate for race day only. After Far Hills has been cleared of the race patrons, bus service will again replace rail service so that work on the line may resume.
IMPORTANT NOTE: For this special event, open containers of alcohol are NOT permitted in any NJ TRANSIT station and open containers of ANY liquid are not permitted on board trains on the Morris & Essex Line on Saturday, October 21. This policy will be strictly enforced.
To avoid lines, customers are strongly encouraged to purchase roundtrip tickets in advance.
On October 21, ticket offices will be open special hours at Summit, Berkeley Heights, Lyons, Bernardsville, Far Hills, Gladstone, and Dover. See www.njtransit.com for specific times.
Schedule highlights for October 21 include:
- As is normal with travel to/from special events, customers’ decisions on when to travel may result in overcrowding on certain trains and more capacity on others. Customers should allow additional travel time and be patient if they cannot board the first train they see.
- Traveling to Far Hills:
- Extra trains will depart Hoboken at least once per hour from 7:31 a.m. until 11:20 a.m., with more frequent service from 8:39 a.m. until 10:35 a.m.
- Extra trains will depart Summit at least once per hour from 8:14 a.m. until 1:14 p.m., with more frequent service from approximately 9:00 a.m. until approximately 11:15 a.m.
- From 3:59 p.m. until 7:03 p.m., Gladstone Branch train service will operate from Far Hills. Gladstone and Peapack customers will take shuttle buses to Far Hills and transfer to trains.
- Trains may depart Far Hills as they are filled, but the last train of the day will not depart Far Hills before 7:03 p.m.
- Frequent shuttle bus service will operate between Gladstone and Far Hills throughout the day. Buses will operate at least every 30 minutes, but may operate more often if they are full.
Additional schedule information can be found at www.njtransit.com
Important Travel Tips
- Customers should afford themselves ample time to reach their final destination and use good judgment in their travels.
- Due to anticipated high ridership, customers are strongly encouraged to purchase roundtrip tickets in advance to avoid lines.
About NJ TRANSIT
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 944,000 weekday trips on 255 bus routes, three light rail lines, 12 commuter rail lines and through Access Link paratransit service. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 166 rail stations, 62 light rail stations and more than 18,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.