CHRISTIE ADMINISTRATION KICKS OFF SUMMER NJ TRANSIT SERVICES AT PENN STATION
NJ TRANSIT offers express summer services, travel packages and discounts to Jersey Shore beaches and popular summertime attractions
May 30, 2013
NEWARK, NJ — NJ TRANSIT today premiered its 2013 Summer Services at New York Penn Station’s 7th Avenue Concourse, highlighting how convenient and affordable it is to get to summer fun around the state. This summer, customers can take advantage of enhanced rail service to Jersey Shore destinations, as well as an array of discounted transportation packages to popular summertime attractions such as Six Flags Great Adventure, Monmouth Park Racetrack and Mountain Creek Waterpark.
To kick off its summer services and show support for shore communities, NJ TRANSIT transformed the concourse into a beach scene for the day. Additionally, the first 250 people who joined the festivities each received two free beach packages, which combines NJ TRANSIT rail transportation and beach admission into one low price.
Partners participating in the event included Exit 98 in Belmar, Jake's Crab Shack in Belmar, Marc Ribler & Friends, Posh Den in Asbury Park, Day's Ice Cream in Ocean Grove/Asbury Park, WNOW, Anthony Brands, Ocean Place Hotel of Long Branch, Pier Village of Long Branch, Ocean Grove Chamber of Commerce, Asbury Park Chamber of Commerce, Bradley Beach Chamber of Commerce and Belmar Tourism.
New North Jersey Coast Line schedules take effect Sunday, June 2, including special Summer Shore service that operates Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, featuring hourly train service between Bay Head and Long Branch from approximately 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., as well as new express trains from New York Penn Station and Long Branch.
The new schedules also include service to Monmouth Park Racetrack. North Jersey Coast Line trains will stop at Monmouth Park Station when the park is open weekends and holidays until October 6, and on Fridays until August 30.
All summer long, customers can take advantage of NJ TRANSIT’s discounted travel packages to destinations including the Jersey Shore, Six Flags Great Adventure, Monmouth Park Racetrack and Mountain Creek Waterpark:
- Beach Packages: Save up to $6.50 on admission to one of five beaches— Long Branch, Asbury Park, Ocean Grove, Bradley Beach and Belmar—by purchasing round-trip train fare and a beach pass for one price at NJ TRANSIT ticket vending machines (choose “Special Promotions” and select “Beach Package”) or at ticket windows. Customers can purchase the package for $31.50 from New York Penn Station or any station on the Main, Bergen County or Pascack Valley lines (except from Metro-North stations), and for $23.50 from Hoboken Terminal or Newark Penn Station. Beach Packages go on sale on the following three Fridays: June 7, 14 and 21 at 7 a.m. and throughout the weekends. Beach Packages will be sold daily starting Monday, June 24 and continuing through Labor Day, Monday, September 2.
- Shore EZride Jitney provides shuttle service to beaches, shopping and dining locations from Long Branch and Asbury Park stations. NJ TRANSIT customers can ride the jitney for free with a coupon available on njtransit.com. For jitney info and shore activities, go to visitmonmouth.com.
- Six Flags Great Adventure or Hurricane Harbor: Save up to $37 by purchasing round-trip bus transportation and park admission together. NJ TRANSIT provides express bus service to Six Flags from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York, Newark Penn Station, Philadelphia Greyhound Terminal, Walter Rand Transportation Center in Camden, and from Freehold.
- Monmouth Park: Board a train anywhere on NJ TRANSIT's rail system and save up to $5.50 when you travel to Monmouth Park Racetrack. Simply purchase a round-trip package to Monmouth Park from NJ TRANSIT ticket vending machines (choose “Special Promotions” and select “Monmouth Park Racetrack”) or at ticket windows, and receive Grandstand Admission and an official track program for $1 plus round-trip train fare.
- Mountain Creek Waterpark: Save up to $8 on the adult admission price when you ride Bus No. 304 from the Port Authority Bus Terminal, Weehawken, Union City, North Bergen or Wayne Transit Center on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, June 15 through September 2.
- Field Station: Dinosaurs: Take the train to Secaucus Junction, less than a 10-minute walk from the outdoor Dinosaur park, and save $1 on the Explorer’s Pass.
- Newark Bears Baseball: Buy two tickets for the price of one to see the Newark Bears at Riverfront Stadium when you present your NJ TRANSIT light rail, bus or rail ticket.
- Camden Riversharks Baseball: Save $3 when you take NJ TRANSIT light rail, bus or rail service to see the Camden Riversharks at Campbell’s Field.
For details on NJ TRANSIT’s Summer Services and customer discounts, including special promotions in Atlantic City and along the Camden Waterfront, visit njtransit.com/summer.
On weekends, kids ride free on NJ TRANSIT
For maximum savings, families can combine the summer discounts with NJ TRANSIT’s Family Supersaver fare, which allows two children 11 and younger to travel free with each fare-paying adult every weekend and on holidays.
About NJ TRANSIT
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 895,000 weekday trips on 261 bus routes, three light rail lines, 12 commuter rail lines and through Access Link paratransit service. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 164 rail stations, 61 light rail stations and more than 19,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.