Bus Serviceperson Roles
NJ TRANSIT is actively hiring for Bus Servicepersons and invites you to join our Team!
All new employees hired as Servicepersons are eligible for a signing bonus!
- New hires with a Commercial Driver License (CDL) with Passenger and Air brake endorsements, are eligible for up to a $6,000 signing bonus!
- New hires who do not have a CDL will be trained to obtain their Commercial Learner’s Permit and are eligible for a $3,000 signing bonus!
Under the direction of the Superintendent or General Foreman, a Bus Serviceperson is responsible for checking and maintaining of all NJ TRANSIT buses for daily services. Report any damages or repairs needed as directed by the supervisor.
- Check bus fluids and maintain required levels
- Change fluids
- Clean inside and around buses
- Shift and drive buses in and around the garage
- Steam engines
- Change tires (utilizing the appropriate equipment)
- Complete forms required in carrying out duties of the position
NJ TRANSIT is pleased to be able to offer our new Serviceperson employees full training to assist with obtaining a CDL (Commercial Driver’s License).
NJ TRANSIT’s Maintenance Department offers comprehensive job-related training for all new Servicepersons at our Training Facility in Newark, NJ.
NJ TRANSIT’s Bus Operational Training Department offers up to 30 days of classroom instruction to assist new Serviceperson hires with obtaining a NJ Commercial Learner’s Permit, which is an essential requirement of the Serviceperson position.
- A Serviceperson must purchase their Examination Ticket at a NJ MVC location, and complete the IdentoGo fingerprinting process prior to starting.
- A Serviceperson must obtain a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) valid in the state of New Jersey within thirty (30) days of their start date.
- A Serviceperson must successfully complete both bus maintenance and bus operational training, including the receipt of a Class A/B Commercial Driver License valid in the state of New Jersey with a passenger endorsement and no disqualifying restrictions.
Applicants under the age of 21 who are eligible to receive a NJ Commercial Driver’s License and Air Brake endorsement are also eligible for hire.
To get your CDL, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Be a US Citizen or a non-US Citizen with lawful permanent resident status.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a basic; New Jersey driver's license(Class D).
- Have at least 20/40 vision in each eye with or without glasses.
- Be able to recognize red, green, and amber colors.
- Be physically fit.
A career with NJ TRANSIT offers training, security, and stability. As an essential employee, Servicepersons provide a vital service to our passengers by directly contributing to providing safe, well-maintained buses to our riders. The Serviceperson position is an entry level position with tremendous opportunity for advancement!
Come join our Team!
Please select the corresponding button to your preferred area:
Northern Location Fairview, Jersey City, Paterson, North Bergen, Oradell & Wayne
Central Location Nutley, Maplewood, Howell, Newark, Dover & Orange
Southern Location Camden, Washington Township, Hamilton, Egg Harbor