Frequently Asked Questions
NJ TRANSIT has identified the most frequently asked questions by our customers. These questions address items such as schedule information, lost and found items, reduced fares, career opportunities and more. If your question has not been addressed, please contact us.
The questions we have identified are below, simply click on the question and it will bring you to NJ TRANSIT's response.
- How do I use the online Trip Planner?
NJ TRANSIT's online trip planner provides accurate and up-to-the-minute travel itineraries across our network of train, bus and light rail services. Visit our homepage and look for the Trip Planner on the left-hand side of the page. Simply enter your starting and ending address and provide the date and time of your trip. The trip planner will provide the best route(s) to your destination, including walking directions if needed and fare details.
- How can I find out if there's a delay affecting my trip?
- How do I get from New York to Philadelphia by train?
Take an NJ TRANSIT train on the Northeast Corridor Line from New York Penn Station to Trenton Transit Center. At Trenton, you'll transfer to SEPTA's Trenton Line for service to Center City Philadelphia. For your convenience, all NJ TRANSIT ticket vending machines offer joint NJT/SEPTA tickets. More info.
- What's the best way to get to Newark Airport?
NJ TRANSIT offers frequent rail service to Newark Airport from New York City and points in New Jersey. Our Newark Airport page makes planning your trip easy. From Manhattan, start your trip at New York Penn Station, located at the corner of 31st Street and 7th Avenue. Purchase your ticket to Newark Airport, then board your train. Trains that stop at the Airport are indicated with an "EWR" on departure boards. Depending on the train, Newark Airport will be the second or third stop.
- What is DepartureVision?
DepartureVision is a new, free service from njtransit.com that will show you train departure screens on your web-enabled mobile device. Information provided includes the train's departure time, destination, train number, line and real-time status. To access DepartureVision, simply log on to njtransit.com using a web-enabled mobile device and click on the "DepartureVision" link. You can also view departure screens by visiting your station's Information Page and clicking on "View Real Time Departures".
- I am visiting/driving to New Jersey and I want to take a train into New York City. Where can I find daily/overnight parking adjacent to a train station?
- If you are traveling from Southern New Jersey, you may consider parking at Trenton Train Station where you can catch a Northeast Corridor train to New York Penn Station located in midtown Manhattan at 33rd Street and 7th Avenue. For related parking information at Trenton Transit Center, please call (609)599-9614.
- If you are in Central New Jersey, you may consider taking the New Jersey Turnpike to Exit 11 and taking the Garden State Parkway North for two miles to Exit 131 to Metropark Station where you can catch a Northeast Corridor train to New York Penn Station. For related parking information at Metropark Station, please call (732) 906-1661.
- If you are coming from the Northwestern portion of New Jersey via Route 80, you may want to consider parking at Dover Station and taking a Midtown Direct train to New York Penn Station. For related parking information at Dover Station, please call (973) 366-2200.
For parking information at any other NJ TRANSIT rail station, check the Station Information page, or call the Transit Information Center. Agents are available to assist you daily between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. at 1-973-275-5555.
- How can I obtain a printed copy of a timetable?
Printed timetables are available aboard vehicles and at major stations and terminals. To request a printed timetable by mail, simply contact us.
- How can I obtain an application for the Senior Citizen & Customers with Disabilities Reduced Fare Program?
Special rates are available for senior citizens 62 years of age or older and people with disabilities. Personal assistants ride for free when the person with a disability presents the proper identification. And you don't need to be a New Jersey resident to be eligible for the program. Please contact our Reduced Fare Office at 1 (973) 491-7112 to request an application. Representatives are available to assist you Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. In addition, be sure to view the information we offer online regarding Accessible Services and the Reduced Fare Program.
- Is a permit required to bring a bike on the train or bus?
No, but there are certain restrictions. Our Bike & Ride page has all the details.
- How can I get a refund for my unused bus or rail ticket?
Complete information on our refund policy can be found in the Ticketing section.
- How can I find out about career opportunities with NJ TRANSIT?
Along the bottom of any page, click on Careers and simply select Job Postings to view the listing of current Jobs. Please forward your resume and cover letter to our attention: NJ TRANSIT, Human Resources Department, 180 Boyden Avenue, Maplewood, NJ 07040. Be sure to indicate the position in which you are interested. To obtain any other career opportunity information, please call (973) 378-6300.
- How do I retrieve a lost item?
You can use our online Lost & Found form. Simply enter your personal information, a detailed description of the item you lost, and the bus, rail or light rail line you traveled on. You can also call (973) 275-5555 or visit a customer service office.
- How can I find out if certain elevators are out of service before starting my trip?
- Can I bring my dog on a train or bus?
Only service animals accompanying customers with disabilities or their trainers, police dogs, and small pets in carry-on travel cages are allowed on-board NJ TRANSIT trains, buses and light rail vehicles.
- Can I eat or drink on a train or bus?
Eating and drinking is permitted aboard trains, but not aboard buses or light rail vehicles. If you choose to eat or drink aboard the train, please be considerate of your fellow passengers and remember to take all trash with you when you disembark.
- How can I provide feedback about my travel experience?
At the top of any page, simply click on Contact Us and use our online form. We respond to all online feedback. In addition, you can visit us in person at our customer service offices at New York Penn Station, Port Authority Bus Terminal, Hoboken Terminal, Newark Penn Station, Trenton Transit Center and the Walter Rand Transportation Center.
- How can I find out which bus routes are wheelchair accessible?
Most local bus routes operate with a lift-equipped bus on every trip. To check availability on your route, consult the bus timetable. You may make a reservation for a lift-equipped bus by calling (973) 275-5555 by 4 p.m. the day before you travel. More info.
- I'm a college student. How can I obtain a discounted monthly pass?
College students can save 25 percent if their school participates in our University Partnership Program. Current college students can sign up through their school's Intranet site. More info.
- How do I report suspicious activity?
NJ TRANSIT Police are working hard to keep you safe. Report any suspicious activity or unattended packages by calling 1-888-TIPS-NJT (1-888-847-7658). All calls are confidential.
- Does NJ TRANSIT take Group Sales reservations for buses?
Federal regulations prohibit NJ TRANSIT from using buses for "charter" services. As such, group trip reservations are only available for trains and light rail lines. More info.