Home > NJ TRANSIT News > News Releases |
NJ TRANSIT APPROVES PERMANENT EXPANSION OF BUS SERVICE TO AMERICAN DREAM
December 11, 2019
NEWARK, NJ – NJ TRANSIT’s Board of Directors today voted to make permanent the previously piloted premium fare for express bus service from New York City to American Dream, as well as expanded service on a local bus route to include night and weekend service to American Dream.
“These routes will serve as an integral component of American Dream’s overall transportation plan as it fully opens and grows into a vital economic engine for the region,” said NJ TRANSIT President & CEO Kevin Corbett. “When combining these permanent and expanded routes with the significant potential we’re seeing from the NJ TRANSIT Innovation Challenge, I’m confident we’ll continue to effectively meet the expected travel demands to the Meadowlands and American Dream.”
“American Dream will be a fixture within our district for decades to come and by making the 772 bus line permanent, we guarantee access to jobs and economic opportunity. The success of the pilot program has proven that our communities need affordable mass transportation to prosper. As American Dream grows, the expanded lines will benefit the people who have made the 36th Legislative District their home. I am thankful to NJ TRANSIT for being so responsive to the needs of our community,” said Assemblyman Gary Schaer, District 36.
NJ TRANSIT began piloting the expansion of Route No. 772 service to the American Dream in late August and implemented the pilot premium fare service from the Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) in New York to the American Dream complex on opening day. Following two public hearings and a review of the successful pilots, the routes were submitted to the Board of Directors for their review and approval.
NJ TRANSIT’s initial service plan to American Dream includes the following options:
- Bus Route No. 355 which operates daily express service from PABT to the American Dream every 30 minutes.
- Bus Route No. 356 which operates daily express service from Secaucus Junction to American Dream every 30 minutes.
- To provide additional transportation options for American Dream three local bus routes – the Route No. 85, which operates from Hoboken/Union City to Secaucus; Route No. 703, which operates from Paterson/Passaic to East Rutherford; and Route No. 772, which operates from Hackensack to the Meadowlands – have expanded their operating hours and include stops at American Dream.
To utilize Route No. 356 express bus service from Secaucus Junction customers may travel on any rail line that serves Secaucus Junction or any of the five NJ TRANST bus routes that serve Secaucus Junction and transfer to Route No. 356 express bus for direct service to American Dream. They are:
- No. 2, Journal Square to Secaucus
- No. 78, Newark to Secaucus
- No. 124, PABT to Secaucus-Harmon Cove
- No. 129, PABT to Secaucus
- No. 329, Harmon Cove to Secaucus
About NJ TRANSIT
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 925,000 weekday trips on 253 bus routes, three light rail lines, 12 commuter rail lines and through Access Link paratransit service. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 166 rail stations, 62 light rail stations and more than 19,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.
This document and others are available for translation on njtransit.com.