Home > NJ TRANSIT News > News Releases
NJ TRANSIT KICKS OFF SUMMER WITH EARLY GETAWAY SERVICE AND DISCOUNTED TRAVEL PACKAGES
May 18, 2015
NEWARK, NJ — NJ TRANSIT will kick off the unofficial start of summer with “early getaway” rail and bus service on Friday, May 22, for the benefit of customers leaving work early for the Memorial Day holiday weekend. Along with giving customers a head start on the holiday, NJ TRANSIT is making it easy and affordable to get to summer fun around the state with a variety of discounted transportation packages.
On Friday, May 22:
- Extra outbound trains will operate on the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast, Raritan Valley, Morris & Essex, and Port Jervis lines starting at approximately 1 p.m.
- One outbound Pascack Valley train (#9653, leaving Hoboken at 2:51 pm) will extend its existing service to terminate in Spring Valley.
- Extra buses will operate from the Port Authority Bus Terminal on more than two dozen bus routes starting around noon. Visit njtransit.com for details.
On Memorial Day, Monday, May 25:
- Trains will operate on a weekend/major holiday schedule on all lines.
- Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will operate on a weekend schedule.
- Newark Light Rail will operate on a Saturday schedule.
- River Line will operate on a Sunday schedule.
- Bus schedules vary by route—customers are advised to check their timetables or visit njtransit.com for schedule information.
With Memorial Day marking the “unofficial” start of the summer recreational season, this weekend is a great time for customers to take advantage of
NJ TRANSIT’s discounted travel packages to destinations including the Jersey Shore, Six Flags, Monmouth Park and Liberty Science Center:
- Beach Packages: Save up to $6.50 on admission to one of five beaches— Long Branch, Asbury Park, Ocean Grove, Bradley Beach and Belmar—by purchasing round-trip train fare and a beach pass for one price at NJ TRANSIT ticket vending machines (choose “Special Promotions” and select “Beach Package”) or at ticket windows. Customers can purchase the package for $31.50 from New York Penn Station or any station on the Main, Bergen County or Pascack Valley lines (except from Metro-North stations), and for $23.50 from Hoboken Terminal or Newark Penn Station. Beach Packages go on sale on the following four Fridays: May 22, June 5, 12 and 19 at 7 a.m. and are valid throughout the weekend and on holidays. Beach Packages will be available daily starting Saturday, June 20 and continuing through Labor Day, Monday, September 7.
- Shore EZride Jitney provides shuttle service to beaches, shopping and dining locations in Long Branch. For jitney info and shore activities, go to www.ezride.org.
- Six Flags Great Adventure and Safari or Hurricane Harbor: Save up to $35 by purchasing round-trip bus transportation and park admission together. NJ TRANSIT provides express bus service to Six Flags from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York and Newark Penn Station.
- Monmouth Park: Board a train anywhere on NJ TRANSIT's rail system and save $5.50 when you travel to Monmouth Park Racetrack. Simply purchase a package to Monmouth Park from NJ TRANSIT ticket vending machines (choose “Special Promotions” and select “Monmouth Park”) or at ticket windows, and receive round-trip transportation and Grandstand Admission plus an official track program for an additional $1.
- Liberty Science Center: Save $3 per person for up to four general admission passes when you travel on NJ TRANSIT and show your ticket, pass or fare receipt at Liberty Science Center. General admission passes include live science demonstrations, hands-on labs, and a variety of daily activities.
Visit www.njtransit.com/summer for more information on NJ TRANSIT summer travel deals.
On weekends, kids ride free on NJT
Every weekend, families riding NJ TRANSIT can save with the Family Super Saver Fare, which allows two children 11 and younger to travel free with each fare-paying adult. For the Memorial Day holiday weekend, the program will be extended and in effect from 7 p.m. Friday, May 22 until 6 a.m. Tuesday, May 26.
About NJ TRANSIT
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 915,900 weekday trips on 261 bus routes, three light rail lines, 12 commuter rail lines and through Access Link paratransit service. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 165 rail stations, 62 light rail stations and more than 19,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.