Home > NJ TRANSIT News > News Releases
NJ TRANSIT OFFERS “EARLY GETAWAY” SERVICE FOR LABOR DAY WEEKEND
Kids ride free all weekend with Family SuperSaver Fare
August 27, 2014
NEWARK, NJ — NJ TRANSIT will offer “early getaway” rail and bus service on Friday, August 29, for the benefit of customers leaving work early for the Labor Day holiday weekend.
On Friday, August 29, extra outbound trains will operate on the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast, Raritan Valley, Morris & Essex and Port Jervis lines starting at approximately 1 p.m. Extra buses will operate from the Port Authority Bus Terminal on more than a dozen bus routes starting around noon. Visit njtransit.com for details.
On Labor Day, Monday, September 1, trains will operate on a weekend/major holiday schedule on all lines. Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will operate on a weekend schedule. Newark Light Rail will operate on a Saturday schedule. River Line will operate on a Sunday schedule. Bus schedules vary by route—customers are advised to check their timetables or visit njtransit.com for schedule information.
For complete schedules and fares, visit njtransit.com or call 973-275-5555.
With summer winding down, there is still time to take advantage of NJ TRANSIT’s discounted travel packages to destinations including the Jersey Shore, Six Flags Great Adventure, Monmouth Park Racetrack and Mountain Creek Action Park:
- Beach Packages: Save up to $6.50 on admission to one of five beaches— Long Branch, Asbury Park, Ocean Grove, Bradley Beach and Belmar—by purchasing round-trip train fare and a beach pass for one price at NJ TRANSIT ticket vending machines (choose “Special Promotions” and select “Beach Package”) or at ticket windows. Customers can purchase the package for $31.50 from New York Penn Station or any station on the Main, Bergen County or Pascack Valley lines (except from Metro-North stations), and for $23.50 from Hoboken Terminal or Newark Penn Station. Beach packages are now on sale daily through Labor Day, Monday, September 1.
- Shore Express: Enjoy a shorter trip and one-seat ride to the Jersey Shore with NJ TRANSIT’s new express service, departing New York Penn Station at 7:52 a.m. and 10:01 a.m. and stopping at Secaucus Junction, Newark Penn Station, Elizabeth, Rahway, Aberdeen-Matawan, Red Bank, Long Branch, Asbury Park, Bradley Beach, Belmar, Spring Lake, Manasquan, Point Pleasant Beach and Bay Head without having to change trains in Long Branch. Return trips will depart Bay Head at 4:54 p.m. and 6:54 p.m. This express service will operate on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays through September 1, supplementing NJ TRANSIT’s hourly rail service between Long Branch and Bay Head.
- Shore EZride Jitney provides shuttle service to beaches, shopping and dining locations from Long Branch Station. NJ TRANSIT customers can ride the jitney for free with a coupon available on njtransit.com/shore.
- Six Flags Great Adventure and Safari or Hurricane Harbor: Save up to $40 by purchasing round-trip bus transportation and park admission together. NJ TRANSIT provides express bus service to Six Flags from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York, Newark Penn Station, Philadelphia Greyhound Terminal, Walter Rand Transportation Center in Camden, and from Freehold.
- Monmouth Park: Board a train anywhere on NJ TRANSIT's rail system and save up to $5.50 when you travel to Monmouth Park Racetrack. Simply purchase a round-trip package to Monmouth Park from NJ TRANSIT ticket vending machines (choose “Special Promotions” and select “Monmouth Park Racetrack”) or at ticket windows, and receive Grandstand Admission and an official track program for $1 plus round-trip train fare.
- Mountain Creek Action Park: Save $8 on the adult admission price when you ride Bus No. 304 from the Port Authority Bus Terminal, Weehawken, Union City, North Bergen or Wayne/Route 23 Transit Center on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays through September 1.
For details on NJ TRANSIT’s Summer Services and customer discounts, visit njtransit.com/summer.
On weekends, kids ride free on NJT
Every weekend, families riding NJ TRANSIT can save with the Family SuperSaver Fare, which allows two children 11 and younger to travel free with each fare-paying adult. For the Labor Day holiday weekend, the program will be in effect from 7 p.m. Friday, August 29 until 6 a.m. Tuesday, September 2.
About NJ TRANSIT
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 895,000 weekday trips on 262 bus routes, three light rail lines, 12 commuter rail lines and through Access Link paratransit service. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 165 rail stations, 62 light rail stations and more than 19,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.