In accordance with 49 CFR, Part 26 all recipients from the United States Department of Transportation (US DOT) receiving financial assistance must create and participate in a statewide Unified Certification Program (UCP). In 2006 the New Jersey Unified Certification Program (NJ UCP) was created with the following three agency partners - New Jersey Transit (NJT) New Jersey, Department of Transportation (NJ DOT), and the Port Authority of NY & NJ (PANYNJ).
The NJ UCP is an initiative that streamlines the Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) certification process. This single uniform process eliminates the need for multiple applications to the other NJ UCP partners.
Businesses that are certified as a DBE by one of the three agencies are automatically certified with the other two agency partners and included in the NJ UCP DBE Directory. The NJ UCP DBE Directory lists all DBE Firms certified in the NJ UCP.
The primary objectives of the NJ UCP are to:
- Provide and support a single uniform certification process.
- List businesses in a centralized DBE Directory.
- Simplify the process of staying DBE certified.
Out of state businesses must be DBE certified in their home state by their governing agency before applying to the NJ UCP.
To be eligible for DBE Certification, a firm must:
- Be at least 51% owned by one or more socially or economically disadvantaged individuals. (A socially disadvantaged individual is a citizen or lawfully admitted permanent resident, who is a member of one of the following groups: Black American, Hispanic American, Native American, Asian- Pacific American, Subcontinent American, or Woman.)
- Be an independent business, and one or more of the socially disadvantaged owners must control its management and daily operations
- Be an existing "for- profit business"
- Have owners' whose Personal Net Worth does not exceed $1.32 million with regulatory exclusions (does not include your primary residence & ownership interest in the applying DBE firm)
If you are interested in applying for DBE Certification with NJ TRANSIT please click here.
Please note: A socially disadvantaged individual is a citizen or lawfully admitted permanent resident, who is a member of one of the following groups: Black American, Hispanic American, Native American, Asian- Pacific American, Subcontinent American, or Woman.
Click here for the NJ UCP DBE Application
Click here for access to the NJ UCP DBE Directory