Home > NJ TRANSIT News > FYI >
Ready for the Changing of the Seasons |
Ready for the Changing of the Seasons
With winter fast approaching, NJ TRANSIT has been mobilizing for Old Man Winter. Our preparations include winterization of railcars, locomotives, buses, light rail vehicles, stations, snow-fighting equipment and critical infrastructure. These proactive measures place NJ TRANSIT in the best possible position to handle potential winter storms. Specific work includes:
- Inspecting onboard bus, rail, light rail and Access Link heating and ventilation systems, thermostats, weather stripping, tires and/or electronic components.
- Stocking up on snow-fighting supplies, including salt, calcium chloride and/or other snow/ice inhibiting materials.
- Inspecting and preparing snow removal equipment, including snow blowers, snow plows, scrapers, shovels and other equipment to clear platforms, sidewalks and park & rides.
- Hiring subcontractors to help clear snow and ice from some stations, terminals and park & rides.
- Testing public address systems.
- Inspecting and maintaining switches, switch heaters and overhead wire systems at rail and light rail storage yards and terminals.
- Changing diesel locomotive filters and fuel to a winter blend.
- Preparing two jet-engine-powered snow blowers to remove ice and snow from tracks and critical switching areas.
- Working with municipalities to coordinate snow removal in “street-running” territory for Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, Newark Light Rail and River LINE.
- Readying support vehicles and external resources for plowing and fueling Access Link facilities or vehicles.
Rail Severe Weather Schedules
As a reminder, NJ TRANSIT has Rail Severe Weather Schedules to keep you moving through the snow and ice. During severe weather events or other emergency situations, NJ TRANSIT may need to operate a limited weekday rail schedule, which will be designated as “Severe Weather Schedule – Level 1” or “Severe Weather Schedule – Level 2.” Customers will be informed through MyTransit alerts, social media, NJ TRANSIT’s website and mobile app, as well as broadcast and online media, when a Severe Weather Schedule is implemented. You can find both severe weather schedules at https://www.njtransit.com. Printed schedules are also available at select stations, terminals and Customer Service offices.
Stay in touch with NJ TRANSIT during the winter to get the latest service information. You have many options.
- Sign up for My Transit alerts on our website - www.njtransit.com - to receive travel advisories on your mobile device or computer for your specific trip.
- Go to https://www.njtransit.com and check the "Service Status" section for up-to-the-minute bus, rail and light rail service information. Access Link customers can visit https://accesslink.njtransit.com.
- Bus, rail and light rail updates are available by calling (973) 275-5555. Access Link customers can call (800) 955-2321.
- Updated travel information is available from broadcast traffic reports.
- Listen closely to onboard and station public address announcements for updated service information.
- Use caution when walking on sidewalks, station platforms or equipment.
- Report slippery or unsafe conditions to bus operators, train crewmembers, Access Link operators or other staff.
Thank you and stay safe this winter.