Home > Safety > |
Important Bus Safety Tips
While waiting for the bus...
- Wait for buses at designated stops - stand on the sidewalk 2-3 feet from the curb
- Never run after a bus - you may slip and fall or be struck by another vehicle
- Use designated crosswalks and sidewalks to reach the bus stop - never walk in a traffic lane
- Have your fare or bus card ready so you can hold handrails
When boarding the bus...
- Use handrails to help keep your balance
- Avoid long stretch steps to the first step of the bus
- Keep children close and board the bus together
While riding the bus...
- Stand behind the white line while the bus in moving
- Do not lean or press on doors
- Keeps hands, feet and items clear from closing doors
- Wait for the bus to fully stop before leaving your seat
- Do not reach outside the bus window
- Do not extend your legs or personal items into the aisle
- Do not distract the bus operator while the bus is in motion
When getting off the bus...
- Use handrails and avoid long stretch steps to the curb
- Step onto the sidewalk - do not walk between the side of the bus and the curb
- Never walk in front of the bus, even if it is stopped
- Only use designated crosswalks if crossing the street