MONTCLAIR-BOONTON LINE (MOBO)
The following service plan will be in place weekdays from June 17th through September 6th.
Montclair-Boonton Line fares will be adjusted to offset the cost of PATH or NY Waterway (NYWW) ferry travel options into New York City during June, July, August and September.
A.M. Peak Period PSNY Arrivals Diverted To Hoboken Arrivals:
- MOBO 6206, currently arrives at PSNY 7:40 a.m., will arrive at Hoboken 7:32 a.m. and be renumbered 206.
- MOBO 6210, currently arrives at PSNY 8:20 a.m., will arrive at Hoboken 8:09 a.m. and be renumbered 210.
- MOBO 6214, currently arrives at PSNY 8:59 a.m., will arrive at Hoboken 8:49 a.m. and be renumbered 214.
- MOBO 6216, currently arrives at PSNY at 9:50 a.m., will arrive at Hoboken 9:42 a.m. and be renumbered 218
P.M. Peak Period PSNY Departures Diverted To Hoboken Departures:
- MOBO 6263, currently departs PSNY at 4:52 p.m., will depart Hoboken 4:54 p.m. and be renumbered 263.
- MOBO 6273, currently departs PSNY at 5:31 p.m., will depart Hoboken 5:36 p.m. and be renumbered 273.
- MOBO 6279, currently departs PSNY at 6:10 p.m., will depart Hoboken 6:22 p.m. and be renumbered 279.
- MOBO 6283, currently departs PSNY at 6:41 p.m., will depart Hoboken 6:47 p.m. and be renumbered 283.
PP.M. Peak Adjustments to Hoboken Arrivals
Note: MOBO 250, currently departs MSU at 4:33 p.m. bound for Hoboken, will depart at 3:41 p.m. and will be renumbered as train 246. Customers have two alternative options:
- Midtown Direct 6248, departing MSU at 4:13 p.m. and arriving at PSNY at 5:08 p.m. Hoboken customers can transfer from Train 6248 to Train 430 at Newark Broad Street. Train 430 departs Newark Broad Street at 4:57 PM and arrives in Hoboken at 5:13 PM.
- Midtown Direct 6252, departing MSU at 5:07 p.m. and arriving at PSNY at 5:57 p.m. Hoboken customers can transfer from Train 6252 to Train 432 at Newark Broad Street. Train 432 departs Newark Broad Street at 5:46 PM and arrives at Hoboken at 6:03 PM
View the MOBO timetable.
NJ TRANSIT bus service will be enhanced along three routes which travel along the Montclair-Boonton line to/from Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) -- Bus Route Nos. 324, 191 and 192 -- to accommodate an anticipated increase in customer demand during the summer track work.
Important Note: DeCamp bus service is another travel option, however DeCamp is NOT cross honoring NJ TRANSIT passes/tickets. A DeCamp bus ticket must be purchased.
Newark Broad Street Station Advisory:
To prevent the possibility of unsafe overcrowding conditions at Newark Broad Street station resulting from customers transferring to/from PSNY trains, Morris & Essex (M&E) Midtown Direct trains traveling TO PSNY between 7:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. and trains traveling FROM PSNY between 4:30 p.m. - 6:45 p.m. will NOT make station stops at Newark Broad Street. Additionally, Train 6363, the 7:18 p.m. from PSNY, will not stop at Newark Broad Street. During these timeframes, Newark Broad Street customers must utilize trains to/from Hoboken, or use Newark Light Rail to access PSNY service from Newark Penn Station.
Important Note: As a result of operating with fewer tracks in PSNY, some trains in/out of PSNY may be required to utilize shorter platforms and will be required to have fewer cars. To make maximum use of the limited track space, some trains that currently operate with 10 cars will be reduced to 9 cars.
TICKETING/FARES FOR MONTCLAIR-BOONTON LINE CUSTOMERS
Montclair-Boonton Line fares will be adjusted to offset the cost of PATH or NY Waterway (NYWW) ferry travel options into New York City during June, July, August and September. This provides customers with the ability to choose the alternative travel option which best suits their commute to New York City. The adjusted fare amount will be based on the customer’s origin and the destination stations on the Montclair-Boonton Line. View Detailed Fare Information.
How do I purchase PATH fares or passes?
Getting ready to ride PATH is as easy as 1-2-3:
- If you use a pay-per-ride MetroCard for PATH, you can load it at any TVM located throughout the New York City Subway and PATH, including those at Subway entrances at New York Penn Station, PATH platforms at Newark Penn Station, and the PATH station inside Hoboken Terminal.
- Purchase a PATH SmartLink card with individual fares or a monthly pass at https://www.pathsmartlinkcard.com/, and have it mailed to you! Activate Auto Replenishment, and you won’t have to worry about standing in line all summer! If you prefer to purchase in person, SmartLink vending machines are available at all PATH stations, including Newark Penn Station, Hoboken Terminal, and 33rd Street (one block east of New York Penn Station).
- Try a dry run. Once you have your MetroCard or PATH SmartLink card, take a MOBO line train to Hoboken Terminal before June 17, and use PATH to test your route ahead of time.
How do I purchase NY Waterway tickets?
Purchase a discounted rail-ferry monthly combination pass at any of NJ TRANSIT’s Ticket Vending Machines (TVMs), Ticket Offices or the MyTix feature on the mobile app. If you prefer to purchase discounted one-way ferry tickets, show your valid Montclair-Boonton Line ticket at the designated NJ TRANSIT ticket window located in Hoboken Terminal. Please note: we strongly advise you to purchase as many discounted ferry tickets as you anticipate you’ll need, since the discounted ferry tickets will NOT be available for purchase at ferry terminals in New York.
View the NY Waterway Schedule.
Regular weekday Midtown Direct service will resume on the Montclair-Boonton Line on Monday, September 9. As a courtesy to customers, One-Way, Roundtrip, Ten-Trip and Reduced Fare tickets purchased will be valid through September 30th. These tickets will not be valid for travel beginning October 1st. Customers should only purchase the amount of tickets needed through September 30th as adjusted ferry tickets are not refundable.
Adjusted Montclair-Boonton Line rail tickets and passes will be valid only for rail service on the Montclair-Boonton Line. Montclair Boonton rail tickets will not be valid on the NEC, NJCL, RVL, M&E, Main/Bergen County, Port Jervis, Pascack Valley or Atlantic City lines.
- To obtain new schedule and discounted fare information in the Trip Planner, be sure to select a date after June 16.
- Montclair-Boonton monthly passes with the adjusted fares will be available for purchase beginning May 19 at 5 p.m.
- Weekly/One-Way/Round Trip/Ten-Trip/Reduced Fare tickets with the fare adjustment will be available for purchase beginning June 13.