Get your career on track!
Start your career as a Locomotive Engineer, part of an elite team of the most trained and skilled of all rail workforces. You'll control equipment that is complex and powerful and become a vital part of a rail team responsible for almost 100 Million customer trips per year. If you've got the right stuff, this is the fast track to a successful and lucrative career.
- ✔ Starting salary of $76,000 (post training) with opportunities for overtime
- ✔ Railroad retirement, an Employer Contribution 401a Plan plus 457 tax-deferred benefit pension plan
- ✔ Exceptional medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage
- ✔ Paid time off
- ✔ Life insurance
- ✔ Paid training
About the job
- Develop a strong knowledge of train operating rules and regulations.
- Operate locomotives, perform pre-trip inspections and tests
- Monitor track conditions during run, control train speed by throttle adjustment and brake application, and ensure the safety of customers and equipment.
- Observe track for obstructions, such as fallen tree branches, use a variety of controls, such as throttles and airbrakes, to operate the train.
- Communicate in person and via radio with NJ TRANSIT Conductors to get information about delays or changes in the schedule to customers in a timely manner.
- You will also be responsible for handling emergency situations involving repairs on equipment.
This is not your typical "9-5" job. The railroad is a twenty-four (24) hour operation.
Do you have the right stuff?
The Right Stuff includes qualities like these:
- Strong customer service orientation
- Ability to learn, recall and apply technical information.
- Strong multi-tasking abilities, strong interpersonal and communication skills- outstanding listening, verbal, written and reading comprehension.
- Careful attention to detail and time management.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Ability to demonstrate self-management capabilities- Possession of self-control, trustworthiness, adaptability and conscientiousness while on the job.
- Accountability and dependability, and effectively demonstrates a positive attitude during stressful situations.
- Ability to operate well in various environmental conditions (i.e. cold/hot weather, rain, snow).
- High School Graduate or GED Equivalent is required.
- Some college desired.
- Mechanical, diesel, automotive, electrical experience a plus.
- Commercial experience as a bus driver, truck driver, subway or train operator, commercial pilot, other heavy equipment experience or experience in the maritime industry helpful.
Salary: Under the current labor agreement, the entry pay rate is $26.37 per hour to $37.67 per hour upon LETP promotion.
Union: Locomotive Engineer Trainees will become a member of one of the premier labor organizations in America, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (BLE) union upon ninety (90) days of hire.
Training: If you've got the right stuff, we'll give you the training! Our 20-month Locomotive Engineer Training Program, combines classroom and field experience.
Get started now!
If you think you have the Right Stuff to be a successful Locomotive Engineer at NJ TRANSIT, apply today!
Click here to print and fill out the NJ TRANSIT Locomotive Engineer application. It is important that you fill out all fields on the application. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Please send the completed application with a resume to NJTSR@NJTRANSIT.COM
Strategic Staffing Department
ATTN: Locomotive Engineer
180 Boyden Avenue
Maplewood, NJ 07040