Home > NJ TRANSIT News > News Releases |
NJ TRANSIT KICKS OFF NEW YEAR’S WITH EXPANDED TRAIN, BUS SERVICE
NEWARK, NJ, December 24, 2003 – NJ TRANSIT will expand and enhance rail and bus service for the New Year’s holiday.
The Corporation will run additional trains to give customers various late-night travel options.
Additional early morning rail service will be provided on the following lines:
· An additional Atlantic City Line train will depart Atlantic City at 1:29 a.m. and make all stops to Cherry Hill, where it will arrive at 2:31 a.m.
· Three additional Bergen County Line trains will depart Hoboken at 1:30 a.m., 2:30 a.m., and 3:30 a.m., making all stops to Suffern.
· Four additional Gladstone Branch trains will depart Hoboken at 12:45 a.m., 1:45 a.m., 2:45 a.m. and 3:45 a.m. and make all stops to Gladstone.
· Two additional Main Line trains will depart Hoboken at 1:50 a.m. and 4 a.m. and make all stops to Suffern except Delawanna.
· An additional Port Jervis Line train will depart Hoboken at 1:25 a.m., stop at Secaucus Junction, operate express to Suffern, then make all stops. An extra train will depart Hoboken at 3 a.m. and make all Main Line and Port Jervis Line stops except Delawanna.
· Four additional MidTOWN DIRECT-Dover trains will depart New York at 12:50 a.m., 1:50 a.m., 2:50 a.m. and 3:50 a.m., making all station stops to Dover except East Orange, Highland Avenue Mountain Station and Mount Tabor. Gladstone-bound passengers traveling on MidTOWN DIRECT-Dover trains from New York can connect with Gladstone Branch trains at Summit.
· One additional MidTOWN DIRECT-Montclair train will depart New York at 12:56 a.m. and make all stops to Montclair Heights, except Watsessing and Mountain Avenue.
· Five additional Northeast Corridor trains will depart New York at 12:53 a.m., 1:15 a.m., 2:17 a.m., 3:15 a.m. and 4:15 a.m., making all stops to Trenton except Newark Liberty International Airport, North Elizabeth and Jersey Avenue. Two additional Northeast Corridor trains will depart Trenton at 2:30 a.m. and 3:50 a.m., making all stops to New York except Jersey Avenue, North Elizabeth and Newark Liberty International Airport.
· Two additional North Jersey Coast Line trains will depart New York at 2 a.m. and 4:20 a.m., making all stops to Long Branch except Newark Liberty International Airport, North Elizabeth and Avenel. Connecting Bay Head shuttle trains departing Long Branch at 3:31a.m. and 5:51 a.m.
· On the Raritan Valley Line, Train 5505, the 2:05 a.m. departure from Newark that normally operates early Saturday and Sunday mornings (late Friday and Saturday nights), will also operate during the early morning hours of New Year’s Day. Another Raritan Valley Line train will depart Newark Penn Station at 4:40 a.m. and make all station stops to Raritan, except Garwood and Finderne.
NJ TRANSIT will operate a weekend/major holiday train schedule on December 25 and January 1, excluding the additional early-morning service on New Year’s Day. The Corporation will operate a regular weekday schedule on December 24 and December 31, with additional early getaway train service on both afternoons. In addition, certain Pascack Valley, Port Jervis and Raritan Valley line trains that operate in the afternoon will not operate on Dec. 24 and Dec. 31 to accommodate the early getaway service. Customers should consult their timetables for departure times.
For bus customers traveling into New York City, NJ TRANSIT will operate a regular weekday schedule from 6 p.m. until midnight on December 31. Service also will be provided at Allwood, Howell, North Bergen, Old Bridge and Vince Lombardi Park/Rides. Additional inbound service to New York will be operated on:
· the 126 line every 15-30 minutes until 4 a.m.
· the 190 line every 30 minutes until 4:30 a.m.
· the 320 line every 30 minutes until 2 a.m.
NJ TRANSIT will operate expanded outbound service from New York City from midnight to 5 a.m. on Jan. 1. The following lines will offer extended service from the following gates at the Port Authority Bus Terminal:
· 107 Irvington-Ivy Hill (Service until 1:30 a.m./Gate #316)
· 108 Newark (1:10 a.m./#315)
· 113 Dunellen (via North Ave.) (2 a.m./#414)
· 114 Somerville (2:15 a.m./#414)
· 116 Perth Amboy (12:30 a.m./#302)
· 123 Union City (2:30 a.m./#406)
· 125 Journal Square (2:30 a.m./#407)
· 126 Hoboken (4:30 a.m./#320)
· 127 Ridgefield (12 a.m./#326)
· 128 Boulevard East (5:30 a.m./#325)
· 139 Lakewood (5:30 a.m./#321)
· 156 Englewood Cliffs (2:10 a.m./#305)
· 158 Edgewater-Fort Lee (2:25 a.m./#304)
· 159 Fort Lee (5:30 a.m./#305)
· 161 Paterson (2:30 a.m./#303)
· 163 Ridgewood (4 a.m./#418)
· 164 Midland Park (2 a.m./#419)
· 165 Westwood (4 a.m./#325)
· 165 Turnpike Express (2:50 a.m./#323)
· 166 Tenafly-Dumont (4:40 a.m./#325
· 166 Turnpike Express (4:40 a.m./#324)
· 167 Dumont (3:30 a.m./#301)
· 168 Hackensack (1:20 a.m./#325)
· 190 Secaucus-Rutherford (3 a.m./#416)
· 190 Paterson Express (3 a.m./#415)
· 190 Paterson Local (5:30 a.m./#416)
· 191 Clifton-Little Falls (3:30 a.m./#410)
· 192 Clifton-Allwood P/R (2:15 a.m./#410)
· 194 Newfoundland (2 a.m./#409)
· 197 Pomp Lks-Ringwood (2:30 a.m./#409)
· 197 Wayne-Warwick (11 a.m./#409)
· 319 Atlantic City (11:15 a.m./#319)
· 320 North Bergen Park/Ride Harmon Meadow- Mill Creek (5 a.m./#308)
· 321 Vince Lombardi P/R (12:15 a.m./#323)
Between 10:01 p.m. and 5:59 a.m., all bus service will depart from the upper bus level and new Annex gates at the Port Authority Bus Terminal. On Jan. 1, Sunday schedules will be in effect on most lines. Some routes in Bergen and Passaic counties will be operating a Saturday schedule. For service departing from the PABT, buses will return to their normal departure platforms at 6 a.m. on New Year’s Day.
Bus customers should look for the holiday box on the public timetables to determine the service level on specific lines for Christmas and New Year’s weeks.
Newark City Subway
Newark City Subway will operate a Sunday schedule on Dec. 25 and Jan. 1 and regular weekday service on Dec. 24 and Dec. 31.
Hudson-Bergen Light Rail
Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will operate a weekend schedule on Dec. 25 and Jan. 1. The line will operate a regular weekday schedule on Dec. 24 and Dec. 31, with extended service lasting until 4 a.m. on Jan. 1.
NJ TRANSIT’s Family SuperSaver Fares will be in effect for the Christmas and New Year’s holidays. The fares will be in effect during the following times:
· noon on Wednesday, Dec. 24, 2003 to 6 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 29, 2003
· noon on Wednesday, Dec. 31, 2003 to 6 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 5, 2004.
Under the Family SuperSaver program, two children, ages five through 11, travel free when accompanied by a customer paying any fare except a child or student fare. Please see your timetable for complete fare information.
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing bus, rail and light rail services for 752,600 daily trips on 238 bus routes, two light rail lines and 11 commuter rail lines. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 162 rail stations, 29 light rail stations and more than 17,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.