NEWARK, NJ, DECEMBER 5, 2003 – In anticipation of an early rush hour, NJ TRANSIT has added three trains to its schedule today. Additional buses are also on standby to support additional customers at the Port Authority Bus Terminal.
To further accommodate customers, the Corporation will continue to cross honor its bus, rail and light rail tickets on Saturday, December 6, 2003.
The additional trains include:
NJ TRANSIT asks that its customers follow these tips:
· Listen closely to radio and television traffic reports BEFORE leaving home or the office to determine if there is a delay or an interruption of service, cross honoring of rail and bus passes and/or early getaway service when a storm develops early in the day.
· Go to www.njtransit.com for the latest service information.
· Listen closely to public address systems at stations to determine if there is a delay or an interruption of service.
· Passengers should watch their footing at rail and bus locations.
· Passengers are encouraged to report slippery conditions to bus operators and conductors (stairs and floors on buses and rail cars, at stations and on platforms).
· Notify bus operators when snow accumulation on sidewalks hinders access between the bus stop and the bus.
· Passengers should try to plan travel options in advance of a serious storm to save time in the event of a service disruption.
Customers can also sign up for “my transit” on the NJ TRANSIT website, where service information is disseminated to them during the peak periods on pagers and cell phones.
If warranted, NJ TRANSIT will also activate its hot line number, 973-491-7400, for customers to call into for service information.
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 752,600 daily trips on 238 bus routes, two light rail lines and 11 commuter rail lines. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 161 rail stations, 28 light rail stations and more than 17,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.
# # #