NJ TRANSIT SERVICE PLAN FOR AFTERNOON COMMUTE
NEWARK, NJ — NJ TRANSIT has announced service plans for the afternoon of September 29th, 2016 following a commuter train accident at Hoboken Terminal. All rail service into and out of Hoboken Terminal remains suspended. All Hudson Bergen Light Rail service into and out of Hoboken station remains suspended.
For the afternoon, NJ TRANSIT will be expanding bus, rail and light rail service to make up for the closure of Hoboken Terminal.
Beginning at approximately 4 p.m. the following service will be in effect:
- Main, Bergen, Pascack Valley and Port Jervis lines will operate on a modified weekend schedule originating/terminating in Secaucus. Customers will be directed to this service by ambassadors wearing safety vests.
- Customers in New York City who need to access Secaucus are urged to take trains from New York Penn Station or use the Port Authority Bus Terminal for NJ TRANSIT and private carrier busing alternatives.
- Morris & Essex Line, Gladstone Branch and Montclair-Boonton Line will be limited service for points west of Montclair State University and west of Dover.
- Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast Line (New York service only), Raritan Valley, MidTOWN DIRECT and Atlantic City rail lines will all operate on normal weekday schedules. Please note: MidTOWN DIRECT service will make additional stops east of Summit.
- Customers on the Jersey City waterfront should use PATH to Hoboken to connect with limited shuttle bus service to Secaucus. Hoboken to Secaucus shuttle bus service will depart Hoboken bus terminal lane 2.
Customers may experience overcrowding and possible delays caused by congestion.
Metro North Service for Pascack Valley Line and Port Jervis Customers
- Metro-North will provide alternate bus service during the PM Peak on Thursday, September 29 for Pascack Valley Line and Port Jervis Line customers as follows:
For Pascack Valley Line and Port Jervis Line customers traveling to Suffern, Sloatsburg, Tuxedo, Harriman and Salisbury Mills:
- Take Hudson Line train service to Tarrytown Station for connecting bus service to Pearl River, Nanuet and Spring Valley on the Pascack Valley Line and Suffern, Sloatsburg, Tuxedo, Harriman and Salisbury Mills stations on the Port Jervis Line.
- Buses will meet trains departing Grand Central Terminal between 3:43 PM and 8:33 PM.
For Port Jervis Line customers traveling to Campbell Hall, Middletown, Otisville and Port Jervis:
- Take Hudson Line train service to Beacon Station for connecting bus service to Campbell Hall, Middletown, Otisville and Port Jervis.
- Buses will meet trains departing Grand Central Terminal between 3:48 PM and 8:29 PM.
Metro-North is honoring all PVL and PJL rail tickets until further notice.
For schedule information go to: http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm
- Extra service on the 126 line between Hoboken and Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York.
- All Hudson Bergen Light Rail service remains suspended into and out of Hoboken.
- 8th Street to Hoboken trains will terminate at Newport Station.
- Tonnelle Avenue to Hoboken trains will terminate at 2nd Street station.
- Westside Avenue to Tonnelle Avenue trains are not impacted.
About NJ TRANSIT
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 938,500 weekday trips on 254 bus routes, three light rail lines, 12 commuter rail lines and through Access Link paratransit service. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 166 rail stations, 62 light rail stations and more than 19,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.