Home > NJ TRANSIT News > News Releases |
NJ TRANSIT OFFERS ‘EARLY GETAWAY’ SERVICE FOR LABOR DAY WEEKEND
Kids ride free all weekend with Family SuperSaver Fare
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 31, 2016
NEWARK, NJ — NJ TRANSIT will offer “early getaway” rail and bus service on Friday, September 2, for the benefit of customers leaving work early for the Labor Day holiday weekend.
To help speed the getaway, customers are reminded that they can enjoy the convenience of purchasing tickets through the MyTix feature on the NJ TRANSIT mobile app.
On Friday, September 2, extra outbound trains will operate on the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast, Raritan Valley, Morris & Essex and Port Jervis lines starting at approximately 1 p.m. Extra buses will operate from the Port Authority Bus Terminal and the Hudson River Waterfront on more than two dozen bus routes starting around noon. Visit njtransit.com for details. All light rail systems will operate on regular weekday schedules.
REMINDER: Effective September 3, 2016 12 bus routes servicing the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York will have departure gate assignments changed. Selected routes will be changed as of Saturday, September 3rd with other routes being changed mainly during the weekday PM peak and evening hours as of Tuesday, September 6th. Check njtransit.com for details.
On Labor Day, Monday, September 5, trains will operate on a weekend/major holiday schedule on all lines. Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will operate on a weekend schedule. Newark Light Rail will operate on a Saturday schedule. River Line will operate on a Sunday schedule. Bus schedules vary by route—customers are advised to check their timetables or visit njtransit.com for schedule information.
Customers are reminded to check njtransit.com for their individual bus timetables for the weekend as departure times will vary by route.
For complete schedules and fares, visit njtransit.com or call 973-275-5555.
Labor Day weekend may mark the “unofficial” end of the summer recreational season, but there is still time to cash in on some great deals. Customers are encouraged to take advantage of NJ TRANSIT’s discounted travel packages to destinations including the Jersey Shore, Six Flags, Monmouth Park and Liberty Science Center:
- Beach Packages: Save up to $5.00 on admission to one of five beaches— Long Branch, Asbury Park, Ocean Grove, Bradley Beach and Belmar—by purchasing round-trip train fare and a discounted beach pass for one price at NJ TRANSIT ticket vending machines (choose “Beach/Monmouth Park Packages” and select “Beach Package”) or at ticket windows. Customers can purchase the package at all NJ TRANSIT rail stations, excluding stations on the Atlantic City Rail Line. Beach Packages are available daily through Labor Day, Monday, September 5.
- Six Flags Great Adventure and Safari or Hurricane Harbor: Save up to $30 by purchasing round-trip bus transportation and park admission together. NJ TRANSIT provides express bus service to Six Flags from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York and Newark Penn Station.
- Monmouth Park: Board a train anywhere on NJ TRANSIT's rail system, excluding Atlantic City Rail Line stations, and save $5.50 when you travel to Monmouth Park Racetrack. Simply purchase a package to Monmouth Park from NJ TRANSIT ticket vending machines (choose “Beach/Monmouth Park Packages” and select “Monmouth Park”) or at ticket windows, and receive round-trip transportation, Grandstand Admission and an official track program for $3.50 plus the regular cost of a round-trip rail ticket.
- Liberty Science Center: Save $5 per person for up to four general admission, combo ticket and/or all-access passes when you travel on NJ TRANSIT and show your ticket, pass or fare receipt at Liberty Science Center. General admission passes include live science demonstrations, hands-on labs, and a variety of daily activities. Combo and all-access passes provide options for films and premium exhibits.
Visit njtransit.com for more information on NJ TRANSIT summer travel deals.
On weekends, kids ride free on NJ TRANSIT
Every weekend, families riding NJ TRANSIT can save with Family SuperSaver Fares, which allow two children 11 and younger to travel free with each fare-paying adult. For the Labor Day holiday weekend, the program will be in effect from 7 p.m. Friday, September 2 until 6 a.m. Tuesday, September 6.
- Check Schedules in Advance: Plan your trip online to take advantage of extra trains and buses.
- Allow Extra Travel Time: Traffic congestion during the long holiday weekend may affect bus travel times especially on routes using the Garden State Parkway heading down the shore, so customers should plan accordingly.
- Ticketing: Purchase round-trip tickets at the start of your trip to speed your return. Use the MyTix feature on the NJ TRANSIT mobile app, ticket vending machines or see a ticket agent, if available, to avoid possible surcharges. Bus customers departing Port Authority Bus Terminal are reminded that tickets must be purchased before boarding the bus.
- Luggage: Travel as light as possible. Passengers with luggage or packages should use the overhead racks or designated luggage spaces. On multilevel trains, those with bags should use the mezzanine levels at the ends of each car.
About NJ TRANSIT
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 938,500 weekday trips on 257 bus routes, three light rail lines, 12 commuter rail lines and through Access Link paratransit service. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 166 rail stations, 62 light rail stations and more than 19,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.