Home > NJ TRANSIT News > News Releases
SUBSTITUTE BUS SERVICE TO OPERATE ON PORTION OF ATLANTIC CITY RAIL LINE
Buses to replace trains between New Jersey and Philadelphia, Sunday through Thursday nights from Sept. 9 until Nov. 15
September 4, 2012
NEWARK, NJ — Starting Sunday, September 9 and continuing until Thursday, November 15, NJ TRANSIT’s Atlantic City Rail Line service will be replaced by buses between Lindenwold and Cherry Hill stations and Philadelphia at selected times to accommodate PATCO’s continuing project to replace utility poles along the railroad right-of-way.
During this time, buses (operated by Academy Bus) will replace trains between Lindenwold, Cherry Hill and Philadelphia from approximately 9 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday nights. Customers are advised to allow extra travel time. Regular rail service will operate on Friday and Saturday nights.
Substitute bus service will operate as follows (see a timetable for details):
On Sunday nights (and early Monday mornings) ONLY:
- Buses will replace Trains 4688, 4692 and 4600 between Lindenwold, Cherry Hill and Philadelphia. Since the trains will operate only to Lindenwold, they will be renumbered 4488, 4492 and 4400 respectively, but will leave on the same schedule.
- A substitute bus will depart Philadelphia at 9:21 p.m., stopping at Cherry Hill, then continuing to Lindenwold. It will connect with Train 4493 (the 10:24 p.m. departure). This bus-train combination replaces Train 4693 (9:52 p.m. from Philadelphia).
- A substitute bus will depart Philadelphia at 11:11 p.m., stopping at Cherry Hill, then continuing to Lindenwold, where it will connect with Train 4497 (12:14 a.m. departure). This bus-train combination replaces Train 4697 (11:42 from Philadelphia).
- A substitute bus will depart Philadelphia at 12:20 a.m. The bus will pick up and discharge passengers at Cherry Hill and Lindenwold, then discharge customers only as needed at remaining stops (Atco-Atlantic City). Customers will not be allowed to board this bus at stations from Atco to Atlantic City.
Monday to Thursday nights (and early Tuesday-Friday mornings):
- Train 4538 will be replaced by bus between Cherry Hill and Philadelphia.
- Trains 4442 and 4400 will be replaced by bus between Lindenwold, Cherry Hill and Philadelphia.
- Buses will depart Philadelphia, stop at Cherry Hill and continue to Lindenwold and connect with Trains 4443 and 4401.
Important Information for Customers
- At Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station, buses will stop on the 29th Street side of the station building and will depart approximately 30 minutes earlier than the regular train schedules.
- At Cherry Hill Station, buses will stop next to the station platform. Buses continuing to Lindenwold will depart approximately 30 minutes earlier than the regular train schedules. Buses traveling to Philadelphia will depart Cherry Hill at regular train departure times.
- At Lindenwold Station, buses will stop in front of the station. Trains continuing to Atlantic City will depart 5 minutes earlier than the regular train schedules.
Customers are advised to follow directions given by NJ TRANSIT, Academy Bus and Amtrak staff (at 30th Street Station), as well as to listen closely to station and onboard announcements for additional information.
About NJ TRANSIT
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 895,000 weekday trips on 260 bus routes, three light rail lines, 12 commuter rail lines and through Access Link paratransit service. It is the second largest transit system in the country with 164 rail stations, 61 light rail stations and more than 19,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.