Home > NJ TRANSIT News > News Releases |
MORRIS & ESSEX LINES AND MONTCLAIR-BOONTON LINE SERVICE REMAINS SUSPENDED MONDAY, OCTOBER 31
Systemwide cross honoring in effect tomorrow on NJ TRANSIT bus, rail and light rail, and on PATH and private carrier buses
October 30, 2011
NEWARK, NJ —Due to the crippling effects of an autumn snowstorm that impacted the region this weekend, NJ TRANSIT's Morris & Essex Lines, including the Gladstone Branch, and Montclair-Boonton Line rail service will remain suspended Monday, October 31 while crews remove hundreds of trees and repair miles of overhead wire damage.
An aerial inspection was made of the lines, which revealed the extensive damage caused by heavy, wet snow and strong winds that brought down the trees and overhead wires. Crews will continue to work around the clock today to make the necessary repairs.
All other rail lines are expected to operate on or close to schedule tomorrow. NJ TRANSIT is reminding rail, bus and light rail customers to visit njtransit.com for the most up-to-date service information before starting their trip.
"Our goal is to restore rail service as quickly as possible to the areas of the rail network that were hardest hit by the weekend storm, keeping in mind the safety our employees as they work to remove downed trees and repair damaged overhead wires," said NJ TRANSIT Executive Director James Weinstein. "We thank customers for their patience as we continue to work through the lingering effects of the snowstorm."
NJ TRANSIT is advising customers of the following service adjustments for Monday, October 31:
- Rail service on the Morris & Essex Lines, including the Gladstone Branch, and on the Montclair-Boonton Line will remain suspended due to downed trees and overhead wires.
- Bus service will operate on a regular weekday schedule. Bus routes in northern New Jersey may be subject to delays and detours due to local road conditions (downed trees and power lines). Additional NJ TRANSIT bus service will operate in the Montclair corridor.
- Newark Light Rail and Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will operate on a regular weekday schedule. River Line service continues to operate on a modified Sunday schedule until further notice due to ongoing track work.
- Access Link paratransit service will operate trips as scheduled.
To give customers alternate travel options, NJ TRANSIT is offering systemwide cross honoring for the entire service day tomorrow, enabling customers to use their existing ticket or pass on any travel mode--rail, bus or light rail, as well as on PATH trains and private carrier buses.
Customers are reminded of the following travel advice:
- Visit njtransit.com prior to starting your trip for the latest travel information. In the event of delays or service adjustments, NJ TRANSIT will provide the most current service information via the My Transit alert system, which delivers travel advisories for your specific trip to your cell phone, PDA or pager. (If you are not yet a My Transit subscriber, we encourage you to sign up at www.njtransit.com.) Service information is also available by calling (973) 275-5555 or from broadcast traffic reports.
- Listen closely to public address announcements at stations for late-breaking service information.
- Build additional travel time into your trip to a station, terminal or bus stop.
- Stairs, flooring and platforms can be slippery, so please use caution when walking along wet surfaces or any outdoor surface exposed to the weather. Use extra care when boarding or exiting buses and trains.
- Report slippery or unsafe conditions to bus operators, train crews or NJ TRANSIT staff.