Home > NJ TRANSIT News > News Releases |
"EARLY GETAWAY" RAIL SERVICE SET FOR INDEPENDENCE DAY WEEKEND
Kids ride free on NJ TRANSIT all holiday weekend
July 2, 2008
NEWARK, NJ - NJ TRANSIT will offer "early getaway" rail service on Thursday, July 3 for the benefit of customers leaving work early for the Independence Day holiday. Extra outbound trains will operate on the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast, Raritan Valley, Morris & Essex, Pascack Valley and Port Jervis lines.
In addition, NJ TRANSIT's Family Super Saver Fare, which allows up to two children 11 and younger to travel free with each fare-paying adult, will be in effect from 7 p.m. Thursday, July 3 until 6 a.m. Monday, July 7.
On Thursday, July 3, trains will operate on a weekday schedule on all lines with additional "early getaway" rail service from New York Penn Station, Newark Penn Station and Hoboken Terminal operating between noon and 5 p.m. on the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast, Raritan Valley, Morris & Essex, Pascack Valley and Port Jervis lines (see shaded columns in timetables for details). Newark Light Rail, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, River LINE and buses will operate on a weekday schedule.
In addition, customers are advised of the following:
- The 2:51 p.m. departure from Hoboken will be extended to Spring Valley, making station stops at River Edge, Hillsdale, Pearl River, Nanuet and Spring Valley.
- The 6:05 p.m. departure from Hoboken will not operate on July 3 only.
- The 6:15 p.m. departure from Hoboken will make all stops to Spring Valley.
- Additional service will operate on the Pascack Valley Line and is not listed in the printed timetable, as follows:
- Additional North Jersey Coast Line service will operate before and after the Red Bank fireworks.
- North Jersey Coast Line: The 1:37 a.m. departure from Penn Station New York (last train) will operate.
- Raritan Valley Line: The 1:05 a.m. departure from Newark Penn Station is the last Raritan Valley Line train of the night. The connecting train departs New York at 12:42 a.m.
On Independence Day, Friday, July 4, trains will operate on a weekend/major holiday schedule on all lines, with no rail service on the Montclair-Boonton Line. Newark Light Rail and Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will operate on a weekend schedule; River LINE will operate on a Sunday schedule. Bus schedules vary by route - customers are advised to check their timetables or visit www.njtransit.com for schedule information.
On Saturday, July 5, and Sunday, July 6, regular weekend schedules are in effect. Two additional early morning trains will operate on the Atlantic City Rail Line on Saturday, July 5 (see a timetable for details).
On weekends, kids ride free on NJT
For the Independence Day holiday, NJ TRANSIT's Family Super Saver Fare, which allows up to two children 11 and younger to travel free with each fare-paying adult, will be in effect from 7 p.m. Thursday, July 3 until 6 a.m. Monday, July 7.
About NJ TRANSIT
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing nearly 865,000 weekday trips on 240 bus routes, three light rail lines and 11 commuter rail lines. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 164 rail stations, 60 light rail stations and more than 18,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.