NEWARK, NJ — This season’s "American Idol" hopefuls can ride NJ TRANSIT bus service from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York to the Meadowlands Sports Complex for their chance at a "golden ticket."
From Saturday, August 12 through Monday, August 14, NJ TRANSIT will add trips to its regular No. 164 bus route to accommodate people attending the "American Idol" registration and auditions at the Continental Airlines Arena.
From New York to the Meadowlands:
No. 164 buses will depart the Port Authority Bus Terminal from Gate 224 as follows:
- Saturday, August 12 – The first trip will depart at 6:20 a.m., and then buses will depart hourly from 6:50 a.m. to 9:50 p.m. Note: Extra ridership to the Meadowlands is expected on Saturday evening due to the 7:30 p.m. soccer game—customers are advised to allow extra travel time to reach the Arena.
- Sunday, August 13 – The first trip will depart at 6:20 a.m., and then buses will depart hourly from 6:50 a.m. to 9:50 p.m.
- Monday, August 14 – Buses will depart hourly from 6:50 a.m. to 3:50 p.m.
From the Meadowlands to New York:
No. 164 buses will depart the Meadowlands Sports Complex from the bus stop on Stadium Road East (next to the pedestrian overpass on the Giants Stadium side of the complex) as follows:
- Saturday, August 12 – Buses will depart hourly from 7:22 a.m. to 10:22 p.m.
- Sunday, August 13 – Buses will depart hourly from 7:14 a.m. to 10:14 p.m.
- Monday, August 14 – The first trips will depart at 9:15 a.m. and 10:15 a.m., and then buses will depart hourly from 11:20 a.m. to 9:20 p.m.
Travel time between the Port Authority Bus Terminal and the Meadowlands Sports Complex takes approximately 20 minutes during off-peak times and up to 45 minutes during peak times, depending on traffic conditions.
The No. 164 one-way cash fare between New York and the Meadowlands is $3.10. At the Port Authority Bus Terminal, customers may purchase tickets in advance of boarding from ticket windows 1-10 or any Ticket Vending Machine within the terminal.
In addition to the No. 164 bus route, local service from New Jersey is available on the No. 163 (Ridgewood-NY) and No. 703 (Haledon-East Rutherford) from sections of Bergen and Passaic counties. The No. 163 operates along Paterson Plank Road to north of the Meadowlands Sports Complex. The No. 703 operates to and from the Meadowlands Race Track.
For NJ TRANSIT schedules, fares or information, visit or call 1-800-772-2222.
About NJ TRANSIT
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 827,000 weekday trips on 240 bus routes, three light rail lines and 11 commuter rail lines. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 162 rail stations, 60 light rail stations and more than 18,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.