Home > NJ TRANSIT News > News Releases |
NJ TRANSIT PLANS MORE SEATS, MORE SERVICE TO ACCOMMODATE THANKSGIVING DAY PARADE
“Kids ride free on NJT” 7 p.m. Wednesday through 6 a.m. Monday
November 23, 2004
NEWARK, NJ — NJ TRANSIT will operate 16 extra trains on Thursday, November 25 for the benefit of customers traveling to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, as well as special “early getaway” rail service on Friday, November 26. NJ TRANSIT’s popular Family Super Saver Fare, which allows two children 11 and under to travel free with each fare-paying adult, will remain in effect from 7 p.m. Wednesday, November 24 until 6 a.m. Monday, November 29.
THANKSGIVING, NOVEMBER 25
- On the Northeast Corridor, three additional trains – 8804, 8806 and 8808 – will depart New Brunswick at 6:28 a.m., 7:28 a.m. and 8:28 a.m., respectively. The three trains will make all station stops to Metropark, operate express to Newark Penn Station, then stop at Secaucus and New York. Train #8808 will also stop at Newark Liberty International Airport at 8:52 a.m. Extra train #8819 will depart New York at 11:24 a.m. and make all stops to New Brunswick except Newark Liberty International Airport and North Elizabeth. Extra trains 8821 and 8891 will depart New York at 12:24 p.m. and 12:39 pm, respectively, and make all stops to Trenton except Newark Liberty International Airport, North Elizabeth and Jersey Avenue.
- On the North Jersey Coast Line (NJCL), train #8214, which is shown in public timetables as operating on December 24, 2004 and February 21, 2005, will also operate on Thanksgiving Day. It will depart Long Branch at 6:38 a.m., making all stops to New York except Avenel, North Elizabeth and Newark Liberty International Airport. Extra train #8239 will depart New York Penn Station at 11:52 a.m., making all stops to Long Branch except Newark Airport, North Elizabeth and Avenel.
- On the Raritan Valley Line, train #8512, which is shown in public timetables as operating on December 24, 2004 and February 21, 2005, will also operate on Thanksgiving Day. It will depart Raritan at 6:43 a.m., making all stops to Hoboken except Manville-Finderne and Garwood. Connecting service to New York will be available at Newark on train #8214, which will depart Newark at 7:48 a.m. Extra train #8521 will depart Hoboken at noon and Newark at 12:19 p.m., making all stops to Raritan except Garwood and Manville-Finderne. Connecting service from New York will be available on NJCL train #8239, which departs New York Penn Station at 11:52 a.m.
- On the Morris & Essex Lines, an additional MidTOWN DIRECT train, #8912, will depart Dover at 7:45 a.m., make all stops to Summit, operate express to Newark Broad Street, then continue to Secaucus and New York. Extra train #8923 will depart New York at 11:54 a.m. and make all stops to Dover. On the Gladstone branch, extra train #9712 will depart Gladstone at 7:09 a.m., make all stops to South Orange, then make stops only at Brick Church, Newark Broad Street, Secaucus and New York. Extra train #9723 will depart New York at 12:30 p.m. and make all stops to Gladstone.
- On the Port Jervis Line, extra train #94 will depart Port Jervis at 6:19 a.m., make all stops to Sloatsburg, then operate express to Secaucus and Hoboken. Connecting service to New York will be available on train #7812, which will depart Secaucus at 8:24 a.m., or train #7212, which will depart Secaucus Junction at 8:30 a.m. Extra train #91 will depart Hoboken at 12:15 p.m. After stopping at Secaucus, the train will operate express to Sloatsburg and then make all stops to Port Jervis. Connecting service at Secaucus will be available on train #7241, departing New York at 12:07 p.m.
NJ TRANSIT buses will operate on a Sunday schedule, although additional bus service will operate to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York between 7 a.m. and 10 a.m. as customer demand warrants; additional bus service will also operate from PABT to New Jersey between noon and 5 p.m. as demand warrants. The Newark City Subway, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail and River LINE will all operate on a Sunday schedule.
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 26
- The River LINE will stay open an extra three hours, operating on a weekday schedule with service until midnight. The Newark City Subway will operate on a Saturday schedule, and the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will operate on a weekday schedule with extra service.
- On the Main-Bergen County lines, extra train #9105 will depart Hoboken at 12:50 p.m. and make all stops to Waldwick along the Main Line. Extra train #9151 will depart Hoboken at 1:50 p.m. and make all stops to Waldwick along the Bergen County Line. Train #9160 will replace Port Jervis Line train #66 in New Jersey and depart Suffern at 4:18 p.m., stopping at Route 17, Ridgewood, Radburn, Rutherford, Secaucus and Hoboken.
- On the Pascack Valley Line, extra trains 9601 and 9605 will depart Hoboken at 12:57 p.m. and 2:45 p.m., making all stops to Spring Valley. Trains 1629, 1633 and 1635 will not operate on November 26.
- On the Port Jervis Line, train #49, the 1:15 p.m. departure from Hoboken, will depart Hoboken 10 minutes later, at 1:25 p.m. (renumbered as train #93) and will operate to Port Jervis. In addition, the train will operate express to Suffern, bypassing Ridgewood, Ramsey and Route 17 stations. Customers for Ridgewood may use either train 9105 or 1113, while customers for Ramsey and Route 17 may use train #1113. Extra train #99 will depart Hoboken at 3 pm, operate express to Allendale, then make all stops to Port Jervis except Route 17. Trains 55 and 59 will not operate on November 26. Train #66 will not operate in New York State on November 26. (See Main-Bergen County Line above.)
- On the Northeast Corridor, three additional trains – 8847, 8849 and 8853 – will depart New York Penn Station at 1:54 p.m., 2:30 p.m. and 3:27 p.m., respectively. The three trains will make station stops at Newark Penn Station and Newark Liberty International Airport, then operate express to Metropark, making all stops thereafter to Trenton.
- On the North Jersey Coast Line, additional Bay Head-bound train #8301 will depart Newark Penn Station at 3:47 pm, operate express to Woodbridge, then make all stops to Bay Head. Customers traveling from New York may use train #3503, which departs New York at 3:23 p.m., to connect with train #8301 at Newark.
- For the benefit of Raritan Valley Line customers, train #5425, which departs Newark at 1:06 pm, will be extended to High Bridge as train #8525 and make all stops except Manville-Finderne. Extra train #8529 will depart Newark Penn Station at 3:34 p.m., making all stops to Raritan except Manville-Finderne. In addition, train #5711, the 6:23 p.m. express departure from Newark to High Bridge, and train #5903, the 6:29 p.m. local departure from Newark to Plainfield, will be combined into train #8545, which will depart Newark at 6:29 p.m. and make all stops to High Bridge except Manville-Finderne.
- On the Morris and Essex Lines, “early getaway” train #8939 will depart New York Penn Station at 3:10 pm, operate express to Summit, and then make all stops to Morristown Station.
- NJ TRANSIT’s local bus routes will operate mostly on a weekday schedule; commuter bus routes into New York will operate on a holiday schedule. Customers should check timetables for their specific lines.
Extra holiday bus service to shopping centers
NJ TRANSIT will offer additional bus service on more than a dozen lines to major New Jersey shopping centers this holiday season, including Bergen Mall, Elizabeth Center, Garden State Plaza, Jersey Gardens, Livingston Mall, Newport Centre Mall, Paramus Park Mall, The Mall at Short Hills, The Mall at Mill Creek, Harmon Meadow, Willowbrook Mall, Woodbridge Center Mall, Cherry Hill Mall, Hamilton Mall, Moorestown Mall, Quaker Bridge Mall and Shore Mall. Bus customers should check their timetables and notices on buses for holiday service information.
As a reminder, the City of New York has designated the following “gridlock alert” days, on which customers are strongly encouraged to leave their cars at home and use transit: Wednesday, November 24 (day before Thanksgiving); Tuesday, November 30 (tree lighting at Rockefeller Center); Friday, December 10 (popular shopping day); Wednesday, December 15 (matinee day at Broadway theaters/popular shopping day); Thursday, December 16 (popular shopping day); Friday, December 17 (popular shopping day); Wednesday, December 22 (matinee day at Broadway theaters/popular shopping day); and Thursday, December 23 (day before Christmas Eve).
For NJ TRANSIT schedules, fares and other information, customers may visit www.njtransit.com or call 1-800-772-2222.