Home > NJ TRANSIT News > News Releases |
TESTING BEGINS ON HUDSON-BERGEN LIGHT RAIL EXTENSION
Customers reminded: Safety First!
August 23, 2004
NEWARK, NJ — Residents along the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Line between Hoboken and Lincoln Harbor stations are seeing today something they haven’t seen before – light rail vehicles operating at regular frequencies.
In preparation for the start of revenue service in early September, light rail vehicles will operate every 15 minutes from 6 a.m. until 1 a.m. daily, as the contractor tests the line for quality and reliability.
NJ TRANSIT is taking this opportunity to remind residents of the following safety precautions when walking or driving near the Hudson-Bergen light rail tracks:
· Cross light rail tracks only at designated areas such as sidewalk or street crossings.
· Do not use the tracks as a shortcut.
· Do not go near the overhead wires.
· Never place foreign objects on the tracks or near the overhead wires.
· Stay away from electrical substations and fences.
· Observe all traffic signals and grade crossing protection devices at street intersections.
· Obey all posted signs.
· Pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists must be careful when approaching intersections crossed by the light rail system.