NEWARK, NJ –– Using seat notices, P.A. announcements, posters and web messages, NJ TRANSIT is advising customers to familiarize themselves with service adjustments and schedule changes during the week of the Republican National Convention. Regardless of the medium, the message is clear: “Plan ahead to minimize delays.”
In a recent expansion of service to provide customers with maximum flexibility, PATH will accept NJ TRANSIT tickets to/from New York at no additional charge for customers boarding at Hoboken, 33rd Street, 23rd Street, 14th Street and the World Trade Center stations Monday, August 30, through Friday, September 3, from 6 a.m.–12 midnight. NJ TRANSIT tickets will also be accepted at the 9th Street and Christopher Street stations from 6 a.m.–10 a.m. and from 4 p.m.–8 p.m.
As previously announced, NY Waterway Ferry will honor all valid NJ TRANSIT tickets to New York for travel to/from Pier 11 and the World Financial Center at no additional charge Monday through Friday.
Service changes during the week include the rerouting of 95 MidTOWN DIRECT trains to/from Hoboken rather than New York, increasing Hoboken service by 30 percent on the Morris & Essex lines and effectively doubling Hoboken service on the Montclair-Boonton Line.
As a result, some Morris & Essex and Montclair-Boonton line trains will be cancelled to avoid service duplication and congestion. Other trains will have stops added to accommodate customers affected by cancelled trains. For departure times, customers are encouraged to consult special RNC-week rail schedules at www.njtransit.com.
In the interest of maintaining frequent service at Secaucus Junction while MidTOWN DIRECT trains are rerouted to Hoboken, NJ TRANSIT will add a Secaucus stop to 13 Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line trains that normally bypass the station.
Schedules will not change on the Bergen County, Main, Pascack Valley and Port Jervis lines, though Secaucus connections will change for some trains on these lines.
Special RNC timetables will be in effect from Monday, August 30, through Friday, September 3. Weekend schedules before and after the RNC will not change, and NJ TRANSIT will operate on a regular weekend/major holiday schedule on Labor Day, Monday, September 6.
NJ TRANSIT customers are reminded of the following security enhancements on New York-bound trains during RNC week:
· Trains will be inspected in the yard, en route and prior to entering New York.
· The use of overhead luggage racks will be prohibited.
· All trash receptacles will be sealed.
· A limited number of restrooms—one or two per train—will be available.
· Access to New York Penn Station will be limited to two entrances on the 7th Avenue side—at 32nd and 34th streets.
NJ TRANSIT has offered the following advice for New York–bound customers:
· Travel light and keep your personal belongings with you at all times.
· Take trash with you as you leave the train.
· Report suspicious activity or unattended packages to a crewmember or call the NJ TRANSIT toll-free tips line: 888-TIPS-NJT.
· Purchase round-trip tickets in advance. NJ TRANSIT tickets are not sold at PATH and NY Waterway locations.
· Check special RNC week schedules at www.njtransit.com.
· Expect some unavoidable delays.