Home > NJ TRANSIT News > News Releases |
EARLY GETAWAY TRAINS, BUSES SET FOR MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND
In preparation for Memorial Day weekend, NJ TRANSIT will operate early getaway trains on the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast and Raritan Valley lines on Friday, May 28. Additional bus service also will be operated from the Port Authority Bus Terminal.
NJ TRANSIT’s rail, Newark City Subway and River LINE services will operate a Sunday schedule on Memorial Day, Monday, May 31. Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will operate a weekend schedule on Memorial Day. Customers using NJ TRANSIT bus service should check the holiday guide on their timetable.
“New Jersey’s beaches and shore attractions are among our most popular summer destinations,” said NJ TRANSIT Executive Director George D. Warrington. “Our goal is to help start our customers’ weekends off right by providing early getaway service.”
NJ TRANSIT’s bus and rail Weekend Family Super Saver Fare, which allows two children 11 and under to travel free with each fare-paying adult, will be in effect from 7 p.m. Friday, May 28 until 6 a.m. Tuesday, June 1. Some restrictions apply.
GETAWAY SERVICE ON FRIDAY, MAY 28
On the Northeast Corridor, an early getaway train will operate as follows:
· Train 8847 will depart New York Penn Station at 1:54 p.m., stopping at Newark and Newark Liberty International Airport, operating express to Metropark and then making all stops to Trenton, arriving at 3:11 p.m.
On the Raritan Valley Line, two early getaway trains will operate:
· Train 5425, the 1:06 p.m. departure from Newark, is extended to High Bridge, making all stops west of Raritan. The train operates normally between Newark and Raritan. The connecting train from Penn Station New York departs at 12:41 p.m.
· Train 8529 departs Newark at 3:34 p.m. and makes all stops to Raritan except Finderne. The connecting train from Penn Station New York departs at 3:07 p.m.
· Train 5711, the 6:23 p.m. departure from Newark, and 5903, the 6:29 p.m. departure from Newark, are combined into train 8545, which departs Newark at 6:29 p.m. and makes all stops to High Bridge except Finderne.
On the North Jersey Coast Line, one getaway train will operate:
· Train 8301 will depart Newark Penn Station at 3:47 p.m., operate express to Woodbridge, and make all stops to Bay Head, arriving at 5:40 p.m. The connecting train from Penn Station New York at 3:23 p.m.
Additional bus service will be provided on a number of bus routes leaving Port Authority Bus Terminal between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m., depending on customer demand.
MONMOUTH PARK SERVICE
The Pony Express Train will operate on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays through Sunday, September 5. For customer convenience, the Pony Express fare includes Grandstand admission. Daily service to Monmouth Park is also available. This service will not operate on Labor Day, Monday, September 6.
Train 2397, the Pony Express, will depart Hoboken at 11:20 a.m., stop in Newark, Elizabeth, Rahway, Woodbridge, Perth Amboy and South Amboy, and arrive at Monmouth Park at 12:36 p.m.
The return Pony Express trip will depart Monmouth Park 15 minutes after the final race and make the same stops as the train listed above.
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 752,600 daily trips on 240 bus routes, three light rail lines and 11 commuter rail lines. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 163 rail stations, 49 light rail stations and more than 17,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.