Home > NJ TRANSIT News > FYI >
NJ TRANSIT Celebrates National Safety Month |
NJ TRANSIT Celebrates National Safety Month
June is National Safety Month. Transit systems and other safety-conscious companies and organizations will be busy promoting safety in June and we want you to be a part of it. This year's theme is, "Safety is Everyone's Responsibility."
NJ TRANSIT's Office of System Safety and other NJ TRANSIT business lines will be visiting major stations and terminals throughout the month including Penn Station New York, Port Authority Bus Terminal, Newark Penn Station, Secaucus Junction, Hoboken Terminal and others. Please stop by our table to pick up some small giveaways as well as a copy of our newest safety brochure, which includes tips on using our bus, rail and light rail services.
In addition, keep an eye out for safety posters, banners and electronic messaging around our system, safety messages and video links sent via our social media channels, and public address announcements on trains, buses, and light rail and Access Link vehicles, and at stations and terminals.
Here are a few examples to help you stay safe as you travel around our system:
- STAY ALERT! Trains or light rail vehicles can come from either direction at any time and can be very quiet.
- Always obey warning signs and signals and use caution when using headsets or cell phones near tracks, stations or terminals.
- Only cross railroad tracks at designated crossings, such as overpasses, underpasses or clearly-marked grade crossings.
- Stand back from the curb when waiting for a bus and never chase a moving bus.
- Never cross in front of a stopped bus.
- Always stop, look, and listen before crossing the street at designated crosswalks.
- Whether on, in, or near crosswalks, grade crossings, bus stops or train stations, keep "Heads Up, Phones Down."
- Access Link customers must keep their seat and shoulder belts fastened until their vehicle makes a complete stop at their final destination.
- In the event of an emergency, notify your train crew or operator of your bus, light rail vehicle or Access Link vehicle, and/or contact NJ TRANSIT Police at (973) 378-6565.
For further information on safety, please visit our safety page at www.njtransit.com/safety. Thank you for riding NJ TRANSIT and have a safe day!