Home > NJ TRANSIT News > FYI >
Stay Safe This Winter and Beyond |
NJ TRANSIT wants you to have a safe and enjoyable travel experience this winter and beyond. You can accomplish this by using extra caution and these helpful travel tips:
Winter Travel Tips
- Check www.njtransit.com before commuting, sign up for My Transit alerts, follow us on Facebook or Twitter, and listen to television/radio reports for weather conditions to determine if bus, rail, light rail or Access Link service is affected.
- Do not rush to your bus stop, light rail station or train station.
- Keep a safe distance from the edge of train station platforms or bus stop curbs; ice and snow may cause slippery conditions.
- Hold the hands of children when boarding or exiting trains or buses and be aware of their location at all times.
- During snowy, freezing conditions, some center doors may not open to prevent potential malfunctions and delays.
- Keep your mobile devices charged to monitor for sudden travel changes and to allow you to call for help if needed.
- Map out alternative travel plans if needed to help you get home safely by using the Trip Planner on www.njtransit.com.
Platform and Railcar Safety Tips
- Remember that differences exist in platform gap width and height.
- Be aware of the platform edge when boarding the train.
- Take your time when stepping on and off the train.
- Avoid distractions such as electronic devices when getting on and off the train.
- Ask for assistance if you need help or when using a mobility device.
- Watch your step when getting up from your seat.
- Do not stand on multilevel railcar steps while the train is in motion.
- Use hand-holds when going up or down multilevel railcar stairs.
- Hold on at all times if you are standing on a train.
- Be careful of the luggage rack when getting up from your seat.
Thank you for riding NJ TRANSIT - make it a safe trip!