Home > NJ TRANSIT News > FYI >
National Safety Month; Stay Alert and Stay Safe! |
National Safety Month; Stay Alert and Stay Safe!
June is National Safety Month. NJ TRANSIT is planning a month-long campaign in June to get the word out about safety around our bus, rail, light rail and Access Link services. This year's theme - "Working Together for a Safer Commute."
Stop by and see us June 1 during the morning rush hour at Trenton Transit Center. We will be providing safety materials and small tokens of appreciation, as well as answering your safety questions. Similar events are planned during the month at Port Authority Bus Terminal, Newark Penn Station and Secaucus Junction.
Also, you will find safety messages on banners and posters at select stations and terminals, and on trains, buses and light rail vehicles, and hear periodic station and onboard safety announcements during your trip.
Our Office of System Safety also has safety education programs in North and South Jersey, providing age-appropriate instruction for students in grades K-12, and for community groups and organizations. To schedule a program, call (973) 491-8060 in North Jersey or (856) 614-5564 in South Jersey.
Here are some helpful tips to stay safe on our system:
- Heads up – Phones down (don't be distracted around trains or buses).
- Hold the hands of small children when boarding/exiting trains and buses.
- Cross tracks only at designated locations!
- Never go around crossing gates in the down position, whether on foot or in a car!
- Wait for buses at designated stops at least 2-3 feet away from the curb.
- Never walk in front of a bus, even if it is stopped.
- Wait for the operator to assist you when boarding or alighting your vehicle.
- Use the vehicle lift if you have difficulty using steps.
For more safety tips, visit www.njtransit.com/safety.