Home > NJ TRANSIT News > FYI >
Papal Visit Coming Soon |
Papal Visit Coming Soon
Be Patient, Be Prepared, Know Your Options
Our region is gearing up for the visit of Pope Francis on Thursday and Friday, September 24-25 in New York and Saturday and Sunday, September 26-27 in Philadelphia.
NJ TRANSIT is expecting heavy ridership over the four-day period as our everyday customers mingle with those traveling to see the Pope in addition to other regional activities, including a United Nations World Leaders meeting, two professional baseball games, two professional football games and a free Central Park concert.
During the Pope's visit, significant travel restrictions and other security protocols will be in effect in and around New York and Philadelphia, including street and bridge detours and closures.
NJ TRANSIT has been working closely with its transportation partners and the law enforcement community over the past several months to plan for these events and maximize our available service while maintaining a safe and secure system.
Our system will be pushed to capacity during those four days and, at times, our bus, rail and light rail service may be subject to delay due to heavy travel and traffic restrictions. This might be a good week for a Staycation. However, if you must travel on NJ TRANSIT, please take note:
- NJ TRANSIT will operate some additional bus service to Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York on Friday, 9/25.
- The Ben Franklin Bridge will be closed to vehicular traffic from Friday night through noon Monday; this closure may be extended.
- All NJ TRANSIT buses to/from Philadelphia will begin/end their trips at Walter Rand Transportation Center (WRTC) while the Ben Franklin Bridge is closed.
- Atlantic City Rail Line (ACRL) trains will operate express service ONLY on Saturday and Sunday between Atlantic City and Philadelphia - no stops will be made at all stations from Absecon to Pennsauken. You must present a SPECIAL EVENT ticket to ride the train (tickets must be purchased in advance at www.njtransit.com/papal). Supplemental bus service will operate for all other ACRL customers from Atlantic City to Pennsauken.
- River LINE trains will only serve customers with SPECIAL EVENT tickets on Saturday and Sunday, with limited stops at Trenton, Bordentown, Florence, Burlington South, Pennsauken Route 73, Pennsauken Transit Center and WRTC (tickets must be purchased in advance at www.njtransit.com/papal). All other River LINE customers will be served with supplemental bus service.
- River LINE and bus customers traveling to Papal events in Philadelphia must walk several miles from WRTC in Camden to Philadelphia event venues.
- There will be no connecting SEPTA rail service at Trenton Transit Center. New York and northern New Jersey residents are encouraged to take Amtrak to Philadelphia.
- Access Link to/from Philadelphia will be suspended from 3 p.m. Thursday through Monday. Access Link service to/from Camden County will be suspended Saturday and Sunday.
- NJ TRANSIT will have ambassadors around our system during the four days to assist you in your travels.
For more information or helpful tips on overall transportation around the region, visit www.state.nj.us/transportation or www.popenj.org.