Home > Accessible Services > |
NJ TRANSIT provides lift equipped buses, which are marked with the international symbol of accessibility. It's required that your mobility device be secured. The operator will assist you with all securements and seat belts as requested.
- Almost all of the NJ TRANSIT's local bus routes have a lift-equipped bus on every trip.
- Commuter bus routes are also accessible. You may make a reservation for a lift-equipped bus, but it is not required.
- Reservations are made for a specific bus stop at a specific time.
- Reservations must be made by 4:00 PM the day before the day of travel.
Call the Transit Information Center
(TIC) at 973-275-5555
- For accessible transportation information.
- To reserve a lift equipped bus for travel into or out of the Port Authority Bus Terminal or George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal by 4:00 PM the day before travel.
- To make a courtesy reservation, if you are a customer with a visual impairment, by 4:00 PM the day before travel.
NJ TRANSIT offers kneeling buses for people who have difficulty with the first step up into the bus. When a bus "kneels" the first step lowers several inches to the ground. All buses are equipped with this feature.
If you would like to use the kneeling feature, simply ask the bus operator to make the bus kneel, then board as usual.
- All buses have public address systems and our bus operators are required to use them to make bus stop announcements.
- Internal announcements are made at transfer points, major intersections, final destinations, and any stop requested by a customer.
- External announcements of the route number and destination are made at all bus stops served by more than one bus route. Some buses make these announcements automatically.
Seating located nearest to the front door is designed and designated to provide easy access for people with disabilities. Depending on the type of vehicle, there are specific areas also designed and designated for customers with mobility devices. This area will be located nearest to the entrance that utilizes the lift.