UPDATE: Hudson-Bergen Light Rail: Substitute Bus Service due to Temporary Suspension of Three West Side Avenue Branch Stations - Effective Immediately
UPDATE: Beginning at 7 a.m. on Monday, January 20 and continuing until Monday, January 27, temporary boarding changes will occur at Hudson-Bergen Light Rail’s (HBLR’s) Martin Luther King Drive Station due to roadwork. During this time, West Side Avenue shuttle buses will board and alight passengers on Kearny Avenue. Some sidewalk closures will occur during construction. Please follow all posted signs, and for your safety, do not travel through barricaded areas.
Effective immediately and continuing thorughout early 2020, service at three Hudson Bergen Light Rail (HBLR) stations will be temporarily suspended due to required utility work by the Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority(JCMUA) under the HBLR West Side Avenue (WSA) branch. JCMUA must make emergency repairs to a sewer main that runs directly underneath the HBLR tracks.
- West Side Avenue
- Martin Luther King Drive
- Garfield Avenue
Substitute Bus Service (see links below for printable schedules):
- During this time, express substitute bus service will be provided from each of the three stations directly to Liberty State Park Station where customers can transfer to regular light rail service.
- Shuttle buses will also provide local service between each of the three stations. See below for substitute bus schedules.
See below for substitue bus schedules:
Substitute Bus Schedules
Printable Southbound Schedule
Printable Northbound Schedule
Note that the current HBLR schedule found on the Light Rail Schedules page includes adjustments for the WSA closures.
Customers who do not have Internet access may visit an NJ TRANSIT Customer Service office to obtain paper schedules.
Ticket Vending Machines (TVMs):
- As a result of this work, all three stations will have no operating electrical power for vehicle movement. Stations will be closed, and most TVMs will not be operational. To purchase tickets, customers may use the TVMs at the West Side Avenue Station Park & Ride or Liberty State Park Station. Monthly passes maycontinue to be purchased via the NJ TRANSIT mobile app.
Please note the following temporary boarding changes:
Effective immediately and continuing until further notice, the following temporary boarding changes will occur.
We appreciate your patience during this important project.
- Between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., Mondays through Fridays, customers using the West Side Ave Shuttle Bus to Liberty State Park will board inside the West Side Ave Park and Ride until further notice.
- Between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., Mondays through Fridays, customers using the MLK Shuttle Bus to Liberty State Park will board at the corner of Kearney Avenue and MLK Drive.
For more information and language assistance, please call NJ TRANSIT Customer Service at (973) 275-5555 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily.