Please note that no open containers of alcohol will be permitted on board trains, light rail vehicles, buses or in any NJ TRANSIT facility. This policy will be strictly enforced by the NJ TRANSIT Police Department on New Year’s Eve and after midnight.
6:00 p.m. Thursday, December 31 through 6:00 a.m. Friday, January 1, 2016:
Special printable schedules for this night only are available HERE.
The Trip Planner and Station-to-Station features HERE also include schedule information for this period (except for January 3 Meadowlands service).
Thursday, December 31, 6:00 p.m. until 11:30 p.m.:
- Extra service to New York will be provided on the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast Line and Morris & Essex Lines (Midtown Direct). Please see each line’s printable schedule for details.
Note: For North Jersey Coast Line Customers traveling WEST of Long Branch:
- North Jersey Coast Line Train 3297, the 11:18 p.m. departure from New York, will not have connecting Bay Head Shuttle service (which normally departs Long Branch at 1:03 a.m.).
11:30 p.m. Thursday, December 31 until 12:15 a.m. Friday, January 1:
To conserve crew/equipment resources for after-midnight service, the following trains that normally depart New York or Hoboken during this period will be cancelled:
- Montclair-Boonton/Midtown Direct Train 6299, the 11:35 p.m. departure from New York.
- NEC Train 3897, the 11:52 p.m. departure from New York.
- M&E/Midtown Direct Train 6683, the 11:56 p.m. departure from New York.
- NJCL Train 7201, the 12:05 a.m. departure from New York.
- RVL Train 5101, the 12:08 a.m. departure from New York.
- Gladstone Branch Train 453, the 11:52 p.m. departure from Hoboken.
- Main Line Train 1133, the 11:58 p.m. departure from Hoboken.
Friday, January 1 - 12:15 a.m. until 5:00 a.m.:
- Extra service will operate on all lines except the Atlantic City Line.
- There will also be no extra service:
- West of MontclairState University on the Montclair-Boonton Line
- West of Dover on the Morris & Essex Lines
- West of Raritan on the Raritan Valley Line
- Certain trains will be cancelled and replaced by later trains, as outlined in the detailed schedule information for each line.
Beginning at 12:22 a.m., trains will depart New York every 20-35 minutes until 2:45 a.m., then every 45-60 minutes until 5:10 a.m., when regular weekend/major holiday service begins (with Train 7813).
Please note the following:
- The 12:22 a.m. departure (Train 8887) will be the only after-midnight train with a connection to the Princeton Shuttle (Dinky).
- The 12:43 a.m. departure (Train 7801) will make all stops except North Elizabeth.
- The 1:22 a.m. departure (Train 7805) will make all stops.
- All other trains will make all stops except North Elizabeth and Jersey Avenue, and will not provide connections to the Princeton Shuttle (Dinky).
For information on connecting SEPTA service at Trenton, visit septa.org.
North Jersey Coast Line
- As noted previously, Train 3297’s connecting Bay Head shuttle train – Train 4397, which normally departs Long Branch at 1:03 a.m. - will not operate.
- Train 8201 will depart New York at 12:34 a.m. and make all stops to Long Branch except Avenel. At Long Branch, connecting shuttle service will depart at 2:17 a.m., making all stops to Bay Head.
- Train 7205, the 1:00 a.m. departure from New York, will be cancelled. Customers can use Train 8203.
- Train 8203 will depart New York at 1:18 a.m. and make all stops to Long Branch except North Elizabeth and Avenel. This train does not have a connecting Bay Head shuttle train.
- Train 8305 will depart New York at 2:25 a.m. and make all stops to Bay Head except North Elizabeth and Avenel. This train provides a one-seat ride, so customers do not need to change trains at Long Branch.
- Train 8207 will depart New York at4:20a.m. and make all stops to Long Branch except North Elizabeth and Avenel. At Long Branch, connecting shuttle service will depart at 6:10 a.m., making all stops to Bay Head.
Raritan Valley Line
- Trains will depart New York at 12:39 a.m., 1:39 a.m. and 3:39 a.m. and make local stops to Raritan. These trains provide a one-seat ride, so customers do not need to change trains at Newark.
- Note for Garwood Customers: The 1:39 a.m. departure will be the only train stopping at Garwood. The 12:39 a.m. and 3:39 a.m. departures will not stop at Garwood.
- Train 5503, the 1:28 a.m. departure from Newark Penn Station, will be cancelled. Customers can use Train 8103 (the 1:39 a.m. departure from New York), which departs Newark Penn Station at 1:58 a.m.
Morris & Essex Lines
- Train 6601, the 12:56 a.m. departure from New York, will operate as usual (all stops to Dover except Mount Tabor), but will have connecting Gladstone Branch service available at Summit.
- Trains will also depart New York at 1:50 a.m., 2:50 a.m. and 3:50 a.m. and make all stops to Dover (including Mount Tabor). Connecting Gladstone Branch service will be available at Summit.
(Including service from Hoboken to the Morris & Essex/Montclair-Boonton Lines)
- Trains will depart Hoboken at 12:50 a.m., 1:45 a.m., 2:45 a.m. and 3:45 a.m., making all stops to Gladstone.
- At Newark Broad Street, customers using the 12:50 a.m. or 1:45 a.m. trains from Hoboken can transfer to Montclair-Boonton Line trains. The 2:45 a.m. and 3:45 a.m. trains will not have connecting Montclair-Boonton Line service.
- At Summit, trains will hold for connecting service from New York. Customers traveling from Hoboken can also change at Summit for service to Morristown Line stations between Chatham and Dover.
- Train 6201, the 12:34 a.m. departure from New York, will be cancelled. Customers can use Train 9201, the 12:52 a.m. departure from New York.
- Trainswill depart New York at 12:52 a.m. and 1:46 a.m., making all stops to Montclair State University.
Main/Bergen County/Port Jervis Lines
- Train 69, the 12:40 a.m. departure from Hoboken, will be cancelled. Customers can use Trains 9133 (12:50 a.m. departure), 9169 (1:15 a.m. Hoboken departure) or 95 (1:27 a.m. Hoboken departure). Please check the schedules of each train to determine if it stops at your destination.
- Trains operating along the Main Line will depart Hoboken at 12:50 a.m., 1:32 a.m., 3:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. These trains will make all stops to Suffern (the 3:00 a.m. departure will continue to Port Jervis).
- Trains operating along the Bergen County Line will depart Hoboken at 1:15 a.m., 2:30 a.m., 3:40 a.m. and 4:30 a.m. These trains will make all stops to Suffern.
- Trains operating to Port Jervis will depart Hoboken at 1:25 a.m. and 3:00 a.m.
- The 1:25 a.m. departure will stop at Secaucus, operate express to Suffern then make all stops to Port Jervis.
- The 3:00 a.m. departure will make allstops to Port Jervis via the Main Line.
Pascack Valley Line
- Train 2101, the 12:45 a.m. departure from Hoboken, will be cancelled. Customers can use Train 9601, the 1:24 a.m. Hoboken departure.
- Trains will depart Hoboken at 1:24 a.m. and 3:45 a.m., making all stops to Spring Valley.
After 5:00 a.m. on Friday, January 1:
- Regular weekend/major holiday service will operate.
On Saturday, January 2, regular weekend service will operate.
On Sunday, January 3, regular weekend service will operate. In addition:
- Meadowlands service: On Sunday, January 3, NJ TRANSIT will offer rail shuttle service to the Meadowlands Sports Complex for the New York Giants vs Philadelphia Eagles football game (1 p.m. kickoff). View schedule HERE.
- Port Jervis Line Train 88 will depart Port Jervis at 4:09pm, make all stops to Suffern, then operate to Secaucus and Hoboken.
For complete rail schedule information, use the “Station-to-Station Trip Planner” features HERE.
For more information, call NJ TRANSIT Customer Service at (973) 275-5555 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily