George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal PHASE II - Bus Nos. 171, 175, 178, 181, 186 & 188: Boarding & Platform Location Changes due to Terminal Construction Work
The George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal (GWBBT) Phase II construction is continuing until further notice.
During this construction phase, customers are advised to expect service delays, especially on westbound buses during the day and during the weekday peak periods. The projected delay time is 5-10 minutes during off-peak hours and 10-15 minutes during peak hours. Delays in service will be both on the New York and New Jersey sides of the routes as well as for customers traveling within New Jersey.
During this time, one temporary arriving and one temporary departure area will accommodate all customers.
Arriving at GWBBT
- Customers will be discharged at a temporary platform on the south side of the terminal. Access from the terminal to street level will be via a temporary stairway only. No escalator service will be available during this next construction phase.
- Customers departing GWBBT will board from a temporary platform on the north side of the terminal. Access from the street level to the departure level will be via a temporary stairway only. No escalator service will be available during this next construction phase.
- Customers will find the temporary stairway tothedeparture area located along 179th Street between Fort Washington Avenue and Broadway. Access to the GWBBT and the bus departure area from Broadway will be closed during this construction phase.
Boarding assignments are as follows:
- NJ TRANSIT BUS Route Nos. 171, 175, 178, 181, 186 AND 188 will be located at Positions C-D-E. There will be no specific assigned loading positions – buses on all routes will arrive on a first come, first served basis. (Customers should confirm their bus via the destination sign located over the bus front window prior to boarding).
- Access to/from the NYC Subway will be the street entrance/exit on Fort Washington Avenue at 177th Street. The present connecting tunnel between the GWBBS and the A train station will be closed for the duration of Phase II construction.
- NJ TRANSIT ticket office and waiting room will be relocated from the 2nd floor of the GWBBT to a temporary trailer, located on the street level along Fort Washington Avenue between 178th & 179th streets. NJT will have a ticket window and TVMs in this temporary location. Access to the departure platform from the temporary trailer will be via a temporary stairway on the north side of the terminal. No escalator service will be available during Phase II of construction.
ADA Customers are strongly encouraged to make an advanced reservation with NJ TRANSIT for service. The ADA boarding areawillbelocated on Fort Washington Avenue between 178th and 179th streets.
- Eastbound ADA customers will be discharged at the GWBBT on the street level.
- Westbound ADA customers will board at the designated street level area.
- Customers are strongly advised to arrive at the designated pick up location at least 15 minutes prior to the assigned departure time.
- Customers requiring assistance in boarding/alighting the bus should let the bus operator know when boarding or speak with a NJ TRANSIT Customer Service Representative in the temporary ticket office/trailer (weekdays 6 a.m. – 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.; weekends 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.). Customers may contact the NJ TRANSIT Customer Service number at (973) 275-5555 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily for further information and assistance.
We thank you for your patience.