UPDATE: Modified Service Plan Due to Amtrak's Summer Track Repair Work in Effect Monday, July 10 through Friday, September 1, 2017
UPDATE: Regular weekday service is scheduled to resume on Tuesday, September 5 with the anticipated restoration of full service to and from Penn Station New York.
New rail schedules will take effect on Saturday, September 2.
View DETAILS HERE
NJ TRANSIT rail customers have been forced to deal with delays, derailments and unreliable service because Amtrak, which owns the tracks our service relies upon, has neglected the maintenance of its critical infrastructure for years. For three-quarters of NJ TRANSIT rail customers travel patterns will not be modified, including the Trenton to New York Northeast Corridor Line. However, delays on all rail lines, except for the Atlantic City Rail line, are inevitable.
Long overdue Amtrak track repair work will significantly disrupt travel this summer for customers who normally travel on the Morris & Essex Midtown Direct service to and from Penn Station New York. As a result, for their inconvenience, Morris & Essex Lines customers will receive about a 50 percent discount off the regular Hoboken ticket cost, in addition to cross-honoring with ferry and PATH service at Hoboken Terminal.
Below is the overall rail service plan for customers who will be traveling into Penn Station New York and Hoboken Terminal this summer.
NJ TRANSIT Service Plan for July 10th - September 1st
The following weekday rail service plan will be in place continuously from July 10th through September 1st.
- Midtown Direct trains on the Morristown Line will be diverted to Hoboken.
- Midtown Direct trains on the Gladstone Branch will be diverted to Hoboken.
- All Midtown Direct trains on the Montclair-Boonton Line will operate on regular weekday schedules with minor time changes to/from PSNY.
- All Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line trains will operate on regular weekday schedules with minor time changes to/from PSNY.
- Raritan Valley Line will operate on regular weekday schedules with adjustments to PSNY schedules.
- Main/Bergen, Pascack Valley and Port Jervis Lines will operate on regular weekday schedules however customers may need to adjust their connections to New York at Secaucus.
NJ TRANSIT’s regular weekendservice will remain in effect through the summer Amtrak Track Repair Work.
Fare Discounts for M&E customers
M&E customers will receive about a 50 percent discount off the Hoboken fare, and will be able to utilize cross-honoring alternatives in Hoboken. This discount will be based on the origin and the destination of the M&E customer’s travel.
- A customer who currently purchases a Gladstone to New York monthly pass pays $451. During the Amtrak repair work, Gladstone customers will pay $168 – 63 percent less.
- A customer who currently purchases an East Orange to New York monthly pass pays $184. During the Amtrak repair work, East Orange customers will pay $72 – 61 percent.
Web Site and Travel Information
NJ TRANSIT will provide updated information as it becomes available on njtransit.com.
Information on NJ TRANSIT’s website is available in 14 languages using Google Translate. To use a language other than English, click on “Translate This Site” at the lower right corner of the homepage and click on the language of your choice.
Customers may also access NJ TRANSIT’s Twitter feed at @NJTRANSIT or listen to broadcast traffic reports. Additionally, NJ TRANSIT will provide the most current service information via the My Transit alert system (www.njtransit.com/mytransit), which delivers travel advisories for your specific trip to your cell phone. Service information is also available by calling (973) 275-5555.